Hide Note blocks from published (LMS and Web) view

Mar 16, 2021

Hi everybody. 

I have always wished Articulate could make a "Developer's note" block that is only viewable by developers and not to the learner however that is not available currently.  Some uses cases include:

• Personal notations regarding where information came from
  • Version history
  • Ownership
  • "Publishing status": Draft mode, In Review, Published

I have just found a way to modify the lib.css file in order to make this possible.  Watch my attached video.  You simply need to make a small edit to the lib.css file before re-packing and publishing and it should hide the "Note" blocks for you. Important: this means you won't be able to use the "Note" block for any other purpose within the published course as all "Notes" will be hidden.

P.S. When you get to the part of the video where I say to use Ctrl+F in the video, search for this:  lesson--open .block-impact--note  (I recommend you copy and paste from here)

7 Replies
Tiffany Barajas

This has been a very useful workaround. As an instructional designer we use Rise to create training material and the ability to add in notes for the trainer and be able to hide those from learners has been incredibly useful. However, in trying to publish a course today we are seeing that the notes are still displaying even after updating the lib.css file. Does anyone happen to know if this is just a temporary glitch or was there an update to Rise that is going to prevent this function from working going forward?

Thank you. 

Lea Agato

Hi there, folks!

We made some changes to the way Rise 360 creates your published output. It sounds like these changes impacted workarounds you’ve used to support style changes like hiding note blocks.

What we did:
Previously, we included our frontend application assets into the main.bundle.js and main.bundle.css files. Now, we have individual assets, such as javascript, css, and images, included in the index.html file.

Why we did it:
We don’t want to interfere with your ability to publish while we update Rise 360. We made these changes to improve the stability of the publishing process while we release individual changes to Rise 360 course elements.

You can still add additional scripts and styles with these changes using <style> and <script> tags to the index.html file as long as everything else in that file stays intact.

As always, modifying published output isn’t supported by the Articulate team, but we know these power use cases are important to you! If you have any questions, please reach out to us here, and we'll be glad to help.

Tiffany Barajas

I think we found the work around. The CSS files are still located within the lib folder, you will then choose the rise folder, then there will be 2 CSS files inside, modify the larger of the 2 CSS files using the same steps that were located in the original instructions. Hope this helps :)