Hyperlinks not working

Mar 26, 2019

I have added hyperlinks to text descriptions in an image carousel, however when I go to preview the course there is no option to click the linked text. Even when I right click on the link, there is no option to open it.

I have tested the links elsewhere in the course, in text blocks, and it is working fine. Any ideas how I can fix this? 

Many thanks!

31 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi there,

I just tested this out and clicking on the link automatically opens the page in another tab for me. If that's not working for you, the quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Tim Harris

Hi, just barging in to say that we're seeing the same thing on one of our courses and wondering if the cause has been identified! We're seeing this behaviour both when we preview the course in Rise and when we publish as SCORM 1.2 and view on our LMS. I can open the links fine in edit mode by right-clicking them and selecting any of the open link options.

Crystal Horn

Hi, Tim. We're happy to help!

I'm able to preview and click hyperlinks in image carousel captions using the latest version of Chrome on my Mac. However, we are currently investigating an issue where multiple hyperlinks in carousel captions are all pointing to just one URL.

Can you let me know what browser you're using? You can also work directly with my team here!

Tim Harris

Thanks for the response Crystal! I'm seeing this on Chrome 79.0.3945.117, Firefox 72.0.1, IE 11.1184.17134.0 and Edge  42.17134.1098.0 on my Windows pc. I've noticed that when using browsers other than Chrome I'm able to select the text in any of the captions except the one with the links if that helps.

I've done a bit more poking around this morning and the hyperlinks seem to work fine as long as they're in the second or third caption, but not in the first, strangely. I tested this with a couple of carousels in different courses with different links and it seems pretty consistent.

Crystal Horn

Thanks for the detailed reply, Tim. It helped me see what's happening.

I'm finding that hyperlinks in the first caption won't work if there are captions on the other images in a carousel unless the last image caption also contains a hyperlink.

I'm sorry for the inconsistent behavior on captions in a carousel. We are having a closer look at this behavior, and I'll keep you posted here. 

In the meantime, this is what will work:

• A hyperlink in the last image caption
  • A hyperlink in the first image caption, if no other images have any caption
Sherri Sagers

I'm seeing something similar in the Rise accordion and tab interactions. My goal is to add at least one, but up to three hyperlinks per tab. I can't figure out exactly what's happening, but sometimes it allows me to add one per tab, but most of the time, it just pretends to add the link, but when I go back in to edit it, the hyperlink is gone. At first I thought it would only allow me to have one hyperlink per interaction (not tab), but after reading this thread, I tried moving the tab order around and then I was able to add a couple more links. At one time I was able to add 2 hyperlinks into one tab, but after I deleted one of the hyperlinks, it wouldn't allow me to add any back in. 

Any chance this can get fixed quickly?! :) 

Sherri Sagers

Thanks for your help Alyssa!

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same issue. I created a recording so you can see what I mean: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/c21966f4-b39e-4069-9343-b646e579866b/review.

It's just really random. If I could only figure out what to do to make it work, I'd be able to work around it, but honestly I've tried everything I can think of. Sometimes if I create a new block, it will let me add the first link, but not a second. Sometimes it lets me add one in the middle, but not at the first, etc. I'm kind of in a time crunch and the point of having a tab interaction is so that each interaction doesn't have to be separated, so creating a new one each time doesn't really work.

I really do appreciate your quick help!

Sherri Sagers

Hurray!! (sort of...) Refreshing the browser does allow me to edit 2 hyperlinks, but it looks like that's the limit before I have to refresh again. It's frustrating because I've got a ton of links, but at least I can move forward. Thanks so much!!

P.S. If you somehow remove the 2-link limitation, I would be over the moon. :) 

Erica Goldberger

I am having this issue as well. Is there an ETA for the fix?

I have a carousel block and a handful of the items have links in it. At first glance it appears that the links do not work.
Upon further investigation it appears there is a link in the wrong place.
And upon further investigation, that link goes to the URL of the link on my last item of the carousel and is also being placed in the location of the link on my last item.

It essentially ignores all the links except for the link on the last item of the carousel and then it uses that as a phantom link everywhere else. See video attached for demo.

Alyssa Gomez

So sorry for the headaches, everyone. We're seeing a problem where clicking a hyperlink in the caption section of any image in the image carousel will open the hyperlink of the last image's caption's hyperlink.

I don't have an ETA on a fix right now, but we'll let you know as soon as it is resolved. Thanks for letting us know how it is affecting you! 

Crystal Horn

Hello folks! I’m happy to let you know that we released an update to Rise 360 that fixed an issue where clicking a hyperlink in the caption section of any image in the image carousel will open the hyperlink of the last image's caption's hyperlink.

The fix is live now, so just export your course again and upload the new version to your learning management system or web server. Enjoy!