Image Sizes in RIse

Nov 08, 2023

Hi!

I need to create a LOT of courses in Rise for a new curriculum. I often struggle to find the perfect size images for the Rise full image or text on image blocks. Any advice? I'm not an image edit expert by any means, so the simpler, the better!

Thank you!

Kandice

4 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann
  • I usually use 16:9 aspect ratio for images.
  • Unless the image is used in the flashcard which I keep at 1:1.
  • The image/text block I may go with 1:1 or perhaps something more like 3:4 so it's more like a portrait aspect ratio.
  • The text on image blocks are a bit irrelevant as they crop. But if you use a 3:1 aspect ratio that kind of keeps that center square in focus.
Tom Kuhlmann

Full width images crop because they sit in a container that has a fixed height. So when you make the image full width, it will crop outside of the container. 

Tip: use the labeled graphic

• Insert a labeled graphic interaction
  • get rid of all markers
  • set it to full width

The interaction is designed to show the entire image, so it won't crop when at full width.

Cory Warshawsky

This is a great tip Tom.

When using the "Center Image" option, you can't control the display size of the picture. The lack of control on image sizing has been a frustration.

I used your amazing tip to insert an interactive image and select the "small" display size option.

It seems (I know, lots of assumptions) that this would be a good addition as a new block in the image menu. Call it something else (or replace the existing choice of Center Image), and remove markers. 

Or just add some additional image sizing options to Center Image like Rise has in this block.