Jaws screen reader with Rise 360

Mar 28, 2019

Hello

I have tried to find the answer to this myself but not sure how up to date the information is that I am looking at.

I need a definitive answer- Does the Jaws screen reader work with Rise 360?

If not, what options do we have to export course content into a format that can be read with Jaws even if it means losing some of the interactivity.

And....are there plans in place to make Rise 360 compatible with screen readers?

Thanks so much for your response.

26 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Andrea,

Rise 360 does not currently fully support screen readers, but we're working on it. Our ultimate goal is to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). So far, we’ve added these accessibility features:

Keep an eye on our "What's New" page and the Rise 360 release notes for details.

I hope that answers your question! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Angela!

We released the alt text for images feature in preparation for full screen reader support. 

Because screen readers aren't yet fully supported, factors like the type of screen reader and the web browser being used can create an inconsistent user experience. Once we can fully support screen readers, we'll share the news with you!

David Lord

I appreciate your response and it's helpful to have a ballpark. But again, I wish Articulate was better about communicating updates to products that people spend a lot of money on. Full screen reader support is standard these days for web, and it's disappointing that we still don't have it for Rise. 

Alyssa Gomez

Hi SibaPrasad,

While we can't share more specifics on timing and the order of features yet, our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020.

To help us get it right, we've hired Deque, a leader in digital accessibility, to perform a 3rd party audit for Rise 360 so we have an accurate and comprehensive list of items to tackle. We've also dedicated developers to own accessibility on Rise 360 long term.

As we have more details and updates, we will most certainly share here with all of you!

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Karen! I don't have any new updates since my last post. Thanks for checking in! 

While we can't share more specifics on timing and the order of features yet, our end goal is to get Rise 360 output WCAG 2.1 compliant by the end of 2020.

To help us get it right, we've hired Deque, a leader in digital accessibility, to perform a 3rd party audit for Rise 360 so we have an accurate and comprehensive list of items to tackle. We've also dedicated developers to own accessibility on Rise 360 long term.

As we have more details and updates, we will most certainly share here with all of you!

Audrey Valdez

Hey there!

My question would be if Articulate is moving this to a higher priority knowing that organizations are being forced to provide training online to comply with social distancing.  We've just purchased a team account and multiple licenses to build online training, but as Federal Partners, we're required to build 508 Compliant training that is also consistent with Screen-Readers. 

Following along as we are moving everything online to respond to COVID-19. 

Frederick Bergeron

Hi,

I know this topic is about a year old, but I'm curious to know how the development to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) with Rise is going? I'm currently thinking at moving my courses to Rise but we will need to be WCAG compliant in early 2021. So, it's very important for us.

Thanks,

Alyssa Gomez

Hello Frédérick,

Thanks for your question. While Rise 360 isn't WCAG 2.1 compliant yet, we're working hard to reach that goal!

We put together a journal where you can find all the details on the features we’ve enhanced in Rise 360 as we work towards WCAG 2.1 compliance. And we’ll keep this journal updated as we continue our accessibility journey.

Click it out here ➡️ Rise 360: Our Accessibility Journey

Jo Restall

I agree, Articulate should be ensuring all of their products are fully accessible and screen reader compliant. How are we (as customers) supposed to ensure our companies stay WCAG 2.1 compliant when the tools you offer do not enable us to do so. 

Please can you make screen reader compatibility a priority. 

Renz Sevilla

Hey all! It's been a while since Alyssa shared our  Rise 360: Our Accessibility Journey. Since then we've had quite a few updates such as improved Screen Reader Support. 

Please take a look at our latest Rise 360 Accessibility Conformance Report and our current roadmap for upcoming accessibility improvements.