Knowledge check problem

Jan 12, 2021

My client wants to force the students to answer a multiple choice/multiple response question correctly at the end of every lesson with a knowledge check. He wants them to be able to continue to the next lesson ONLY after the correct answer has been given.

I haven't been able to figure out how to set this parameter. If I insert a Divider "Continue" button directly after the knowledge check, I can only set it so that the knowledge check has to be answered, but even if the answer is incorrect, the students are automatically allowed to continue. This way they can just click randomly without thinking.

Do I really have to insert a quiz with only one question between every lesson in order to get this functionality? My client thinks that sounds clunky and I agree. How would you go about this, is there some other way?

19 Replies
Lea Agato

Hi there! The continue button will activate when a learner completes the knowledge check block, whether or not their answer is correct.  You can try to create your knowledge check in Storyline and add that as a Storyline block in your course. You can then use a continue block to prevent your learner from moving forward until they answer the Storyline knowledge check question correctly. This article explains the steps in detail. 

I hope this helps!

Jenna Opperman

Hello, Lea. I'm having the same issue. I'm not very familiar with Storyline, but in the research I did today it seems that whenever I want to mandate that the learner gets the knowledge check correct before moving on, I must do the following: 1) create each knowledge check question as an individual "quiz" slide, 2) add a "results" slide at the end of the question slides, 3) export the complete "scene" to Review, 4) add the Storyline block into the Rise course, and 5) add a "continue" button.  

Am I understanding correctly that a quiz slide alone in Storyline can't mandate a correct answer but has to be paired with a results slide? Is making it mandatory that the learner get a knowledge check question correct before moving on be a feature Articulate could add to Rise? Thanks.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Jenna! If you want to be sure learners answer the question correctly, a Storyline Block is your best bet. However, you don't need a results slide!

Here's how I would set it up: 

1. Create a single quiz slide in Storyline (no results slide).
  2. On the Correct layer of the Storyline slide, add this trigger: Complete course when the timeline starts on this layer.
  3.  Publish your Storyline slide to Review 360, choose Track using complete course trigger.

4. Add the updated Storyline block to your Rise 360 lesson.
  5. Add a continue block after the Storyline block. Be sure to set the Completion Type to require learners to Complete the block(s) above the continue block.

Let me know if that works for you!

Suziana Ahmed Shukor

We have our accessibility report back stating that Rise 360 knowledge check block has issues:

"I discovered while taking the quiz, the various checkboxes do not possess a clear legend for
those wishing to navigate out of context. Instead, the checkboxes are contained within a list
with no legend accessible out of context, therefore if someone were wishing to traverse the
page quickly, they would not be able to do so as they would need to revert to navigating in
context to be able to access the question being asked. I would prefer to find a clear fieldset
and legend surrounding the checkboxes, allowing users wishing to navigate out of context to
be able to do so without needing to switch navigational methods and ensuring they are
equipped with exactly the same ability to understand the question both in and out of
context.”

Suziana Ahmed Shukor

Not only that I have to switch off the menu too!

An aria-label has been incorrectly associated with a parent <div> element. The aria-label
attribute can be used to define the accessible name of some semantic elements, and
particularly, user interface controls. Non-semantic elements which are ignored by assistive
technology should not be assigned an aria-label as they do not a require an accessible name.

Daniel Wurm

How are students supposed to know that a multiple response question requires more than one answer, or even how many answers they need to select? When I tested the question when reviewing it it did not state how many correct answers there were. This is a really basic feature of most course authorship tools. Have I missed something?

Lea Agato

Hi Daniel,

It sounds like you want to let your students know how many answers they need to select in a multiple response question.  While there isn't an option in Rise to set the number of correct answers in multiple response questions, you can let your students know how many answers they need to select by adding it as part of the question text. Let me know if this helps or if you need anything clarified.