Macrons in Rise

Jul 03, 2018

We are trying to create a course that has A LOT of words with macrons. Using the default fonts in Rise, the letters with macrons appear much smaller, and look quite messy. 

Does anybody have a fix they can offer?

23 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Tyler!

Thanks for your question! What font(s) are you using in your Rise course?

The built-in Rise fonts do not include characters with macrons, so when one of those characters is encountered, Rise uses the system font.

However, not to worry! A fast and simple workaround for this would be to find a font that supports those characters and upload it as a custom font

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions!

Leslie McKerchie

Hey again Tyler,

Great news! 

An issue was identified with accented characters (also known as diacritics). The built-in Rise fonts don’t include non-Latin characters, so accented characters might not look the way you’d expect.

The good news being, you can download the full font set from the web, then upload it to Rise to get those characters to display as expected.

Check out our documentation here.

Hope this helps :)

Kirsty Cullen

Hi Martika

I'm having the same issue as Cheryl from the above post. I have followed all the steps about downloading non-latin and can't replace the macron in the same font as the other characters. Do you have a solution please? See highlighted green in the heading, menu and text. Thanks!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kirsty,

While it isn't possible to edit the font for the course/lesson titles and the menu, you should be able to use a font in the heading and body text of the lesson that supports macrons. 

What fonts are you using for the heading and body text? Did you follow these steps when downloading the font from the web? Specifically, be sure you followed step 4 in the link above.

Paul Tottle

Hi

Are people having success with this? Kirsty and Cheryl did you manage to solve this? I'm trying to get the Maori macron working effectively.

I've done the process above, twice with 5 fonts - Raleway, Roboto, Merriweather, Open Sans, Source Sans Pro. I downloaded the latin-extended and unloaded the .woff custom fonts. However only the Merriweather is showing a same font macron. The others are still substituting the macron with another font.

When I'm in fonts.google.com I can type a macron and it displays successfully for all of these fonts. But I'm still getting this in Rise...

macron example

I'm also having another problem... I can't upload some of the font types. I've gone back in to Rise custom fonts, uploaded the font type (e.g. italic), it shows it's uploaded, then I save and when the main custom font window displays the fonts (e.g. Merriweather italics or Source Sans Pro) they are not showing... I've tried different browsers.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Paul. We would be happy to take a closer look at what's going on here.

Would you mind sending our team the WOFF font files for one of the fonts that is giving you trouble? We can test it from our side and let you know if the same thing happpens.

If that works for you, you can send those files over by clicking here. 

Karaitiana Wilson
Cheryl Tyler

This looks great that there is a solution but I can't find the macrons we use for Māori language in NZ.  See attached image for what we are trying to do.  We would like at some stage to do courses fully in Māori is there any chance we could get this added? 

+1 for this, is a hassle uploading 'custom' font set when default sets already include macronised versions.

Paul Tottle

I've spent a few hours trying to resolve problems with macrons. Thanks to Articulate support here's what we found...

1. The instructions "follow these steps" suggested using FontSquirrel. The FontSquirrel process stripped out some language macrons. So try Transfonter.
  2. Use FontDrop to check your new woff files to see if they have the extended set. You can type the macron and see if it appears.
  3. When naming a custom font in Rise, don't include spaces. There is no error message about this. So I thought the error was in my font file.
Theo Brandt

We too need an easier way to macronise Māori words. It would be great to get a permanent non- workaround solution to this!

Māori is one of the three official languages of our country and we really need to be able to implement macrons as seamlessly as possible, without compromising the look of the font.

my 2 cents anyway :)

Emma Page

We are trialing Articulate, but as a NZ institute macrons are going to be a bit of a barrier. Māori vocabulary features fairly regularly in the vernacular in New Zealand, so we expect that this is an issue that all of our courses will encounter.

The content I am putting together as a demo for product comparison is a portion of a Māori language course.

I've been having a bit of trouble with the workaround, but will give it another go.

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Theo and Emma! Did you have any luck using Transfonter as Paul suggested above

I've spent a few hours trying to resolve problems with macrons. Thanks to Articulate support here's what we found...

1. The instructions "follow these steps" suggested using FontSquirrel. The FontSquirrel process stripped out some language macrons. So try Transfonter.
  2. Use FontDrop to check your new woff files to see if they have the extended set. You can type the macron and see if it appears.
  3. When naming a custom font in Rise, don't include spaces. There is no error message about this. So I thought the error was in my font file.
Theo Brandt

Hi Alyssa, I too saw the comment regarding font squirrel and naming of fonts , so had no problems.

The end result is acceptable, although the slightly bolder text of the macronised font is more apparent in the headings. (see attached image).

Would be nice if we could have a default perfect macronised font or two to choose from wouldn’t it 😊

Cheers

Theo
Theo Brandt
Communications Manager
The Immunisation Advisory Centre
The University of Auckland

DDI: 09 923 3807
Fax: 09 3737 030
Cell: 021 376 478

[cid:image001.png@01D6A6BF.E37E7C10]

Paul Tottle

Another quirk I've found is that macrons can display okay in Rise Edit/Preview but not in the review or production version. I've just found a font that has got through to the production version, because of this. I'll have to process that font and course again.

Here are two photos... the first is from Rise Edit/Preview, the second is from Rise review:

Allison Campbell

Hi, am not sure if this is still a common problem for many people - I have found that if you clear the formatting on any macrons in body text this makes the formatting look okay. For headings, I have only come up with a work around which is to make the first like of the paragraph bold and enlarge the font size to look roughly the same as a heading or subheading.