Making the best out of a Rise course without an LMS

Jul 30, 2018

Hi All,

I am very pleased with Rise courses as I used it before with an LMS and it worked perfect. In my current job we don’t have an LMS and was wondering if anyone can share their experience with using Rise without an LMS. 

Many thanks,

Alena

24 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Alena,

Happy to hear you're enjoying Rise! 🎉 It's quickly becoming my favorite authoring tool -- there's a lot to love!

Can you tell me more about how you plan to use the Rise courses outside of an LMS?

If you don’t need to track learners’ progress or completion data, you can export a Rise course as Web-Only output and host it on a web server. 

One big difference is when a Rise course is hosted in an LMS, learners can exit and resume with their progress intact. The course will automatically pick up where they left off. Web-only courses will always start over at the beginning.

I look forward to seeing what other community members will add here!

Alena Todorov

Hi Alyssa,

Many thanks for your reply.

The thing is that we currently host our eLearning courses on a web server, but as using an LMS before I can see the benefits of it.

However, we are not ready yet to invest into an LMS and was wondering if there is a way to track learner's progress or gather any kind of completion data without an LMS?

Thank you

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Alena,

I'll be curious to hear what other community members can share! I know with Storyline, folks had looked at using Javascript to report information to Google Sheets, but I've yet to see a similar example with Rise. 

Keep us posted if you find a solution that fits your needs, I'm sure it'll help someone else who may be in the same boat! 

Jonathan  Olsson

I would like to give a +1 to the question about using cookies to let the learner keep track of their progress (so that it doesn't start from the beginning everytime the learner leaves and comes back to the Rise-content when published and used outside an LMS). I'm not really interested in being able to track the progress from an admin side, more that the progress should be saved for the user.

Is this something that is on the roadmap for development?

Ben Duffy

+1 on cookies. We're confronted with a limited LMS with a clunky user experience when launching SCORM courses. 

We have tons of courses on the LMS and want to use Rise to build new hire curriculum. If we host the curriculum (Rise) on the LMS and that Rise course launches other courses from the LMS it is not a good learner experience. As we use the SCORM courses across many curriculums it would not be sensible to have multiple versions of each of these courses for the applicable curriculums. 

So we're launching the Rise curriculum from our web server and aren't able to track progress... Cookies would significantly improve our learner experience.

Redaktion capitoo

+1 to the question about using cookies to let the learner keep track of their progress (so that it doesn't start from the beginning everytime the learner leaves and comes back to the Rise-content when published and used outside an LMS). I'm not really interested in being able to track the progress from an admin side, more that the progress should be saved for the user.

Lauren Bailey

Did something change recently with the publish / export to web?  I had been hosting a web link to a playbook on my site and now when the user clicks on it, they are prompted to download the course which wasn't the case before.  I cannot seem to figure out  how to just host the web link to the playbook again and it looks as if it is now different.  Any insight?