NEW IN RISE: Timeline Block

Sep 12, 2018

Breaking news! There’s another new feature in Rise: the timeline block.

Now you can let learners explore a media-rich timeline interaction in the custom blocks lessons you create with Rise. This new block type gives you even more flexibility to add engaging interactivity to your custom lessons.

Take a look at this video to see the timeline block in action:

Enjoy!

35 Replies
David Wrede

It would be great to embed other blocks within a parent timeline or parent process block.  Otherwise, the feature sets strict limits of content types being solely text and media/audio.
For example, I would like to be able to add a multimedia block that is a code snippet to a timeline or to a process block. I can't do that with either the timeline or the process blocks.

Irina Poloubessov

Great block, however we got some usabilitiy issue with it:
When a timeline consists of a few steps, and we do not want to explicitly say in advance from how many - the learner scrolls down to a certain step, but the line which continues to the next step is not rendered.
I.e. a learner has no visual hint that the timeline continues.

We do not want to add a Continue button after - we would prefer to have a sustainable block element, which does not require any extra verbal or any other instruction how to use it.

Is it only a bug in Google Chrome or is it planned to be like that?
Is that possible together with the current step to render the line towards the next unseen step, so that user is not confused and knows they have to scroll down for other steps?
Many thanks!
Screenshot attached.

Allison LaMotte

Hi Irina,

I’m sorry that you’re having some trouble here. I tested this out and on my end everything seems to be working properly. I see the line to the next step as expected. 

The quickest way to resolve this issue is to have our Support Team take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Allison,
Thank you very much, I have submitted the case.
This happens when user scrolls slowly, while staying within current step.

If a user scrolls very energetically down, then more often than not the next step bounding box already appears in the bottom of the screen, and with it the connecting line.

However if a user scrolls down not so fast, and the next step bounding box does not already appear in the bottom of the screen -- then the user does not receive a visual hint that there is still something else to scroll for, as the line is not rendered below the current step.

Allison LaMotte

You're welcome! 

I think I see what you mean now. However, I think that most learners will continue to scroll until they reach the bottom of the page, whether or not they see the little connecting line.

Have you had learners mention to you that they're finding this confusing? If so, would you be up for logging a feature request to tell us more about what you'd like to see instead?

In the meantime, if there’s anything else I can do to help, please let me know! 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Allison, many thanks.
Yes I am writing following the learners mentioning this issue in our user tests.
I will submit the feature request, thank you!

This is the peek recording demosntrating the problem: even whith numbered steps, a user does not get a clue if there are more steps after step 2, and we do not want to do extra instruction - the block can be self explanatory with a proper line rendering.
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/8e9c50d1-a9e3-4920-a0e5-99e86a4f31a1/review