New Rise Feature: Export as PDF

May 02, 2018

Today we released a new feature in Rise that I think you’ll appreciate—especially those of you who work in highly regulated industries! Now you can export your Rise courses as PDF files for easy printing and meeting regulatory requirements.

Watch this quick video to learn more:

179 Replies
Christine Connolly

Really pleased you've introduced this feature. Thanks so much! One suggestion for future improvement is to include the feedback for any multiple choice / multiple response questions, as the PDF version doesn't appear to give an indication of the correct answer(s) nor the feedback given. But otherwise, it's great.

Ann Dyellig

I'm also not seeing interactivity features that were in my RISE course: can't see what Sumi attached either - my pages scroll forward or back but no link is visible, unable to zoom images, can't open markers set (see attached...they appear on pages below the image, which is great, tho!), no URL links work.

Perhaps this is all the way it is to work?

Thank you for making this new feature!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ann and Christine,

When you export a Rise to PDF, there are certain changes we have to make for interactivity. They're detailed here:

Here’s how the interactive parts of your Rise course appear in the PDF file:

• Hyperlinks work as expected and launch in your default web browser.
  • Audio clips, videos, and web objects become static placeholder images.
  • Interactions, such as labeled graphics and tabs, become a series of screenshots, one for each item in the interaction. (Each flashcard becomes two screenshots, one for the front and another for the back.)
  • A Storyline block becomes a screenshot of the first slide in the project.
  • Quiz lessons and knowledge check blocks display questions and answer choices. They don’t show correct/incorrect responses or feedback statements.

The issue that Sumi mentioned was something our team also spotted last night where the Next function to another lesson was missing, and it was fixed up! Let us know if you're still spotting it! 

Christine Connolly

Thanks for clarifying, Ashley. I can see why the correct answers and feedback aren't included if the target audience is the learner. But sometimes our stakeholders want a printed copy as part of the development process, and so it would be helpful if we could choose to include the feedback answers when exporting to PDF. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Happy to help, Christine. 

I am happy to pass that insight about including feedback as a part of the Export to PDF along to our team. I know the Export to PDF feature was a much requested one from folks who needed it for legal and compliance reasons, but the great thing about Rise is we're adding to it all the time! We'll let you know if there are any updates on this!