New Rise Feature: Export as PDF

May 02, 2018

Today we released a new feature in Rise that I think you’ll appreciate—especially those of you who work in highly regulated industries! Now you can export your Rise courses as PDF files for easy printing and meeting regulatory requirements.

Watch this quick video to learn more:

179 Replies
Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,

I join Libby on this request: we would like to avoid the post processing time on the exported PDF files, as I assume the whole value of the Export Feature is to obtain the functional outcome fast. Otherwise the work amount on our side is comparable to copying everything in Word and editing there, saving PDF by ourselves  :)

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Irina,

Thanks for adding your voice here. The PDF Export was initially designed for authors who needed a "hard copy" of their Rise course for compliance or legal reasons.

It sounds like you're hoping to edit the output? Could you share more about that and how you'd edit in Word vs. editing in Adobe Acrobat? Is your final goal to have a PDF copy? 

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Ashley,

I would prefer not to edit anything and use the export as a hard copy, we have a very high demand for that, thats a great and a very needed feature.

But the exported PDF cuts images (they are broken in the middle and split to two pages, this issue was already submitted in the forum of this community somewhere. We were advised to use some pdf editors for that but this is not possible. Do you have an ETA when exported PDF from Rise will resolve this issue?

Thank you very much!

Andrew Sellon

Hi, Ashley--with regard to Rise output PDFs for compliance purposes, has there been any movement on ensuring all text elements of a Rise course publish to PDF (including all flash card text, and headers of tabbed interactions, etc., per my examples of 4 months ago)?  My clients understandably still don't want me to use Rise for any of their compliance courses until the PDF output includes at least all the text content shown in the course.  Having images broken up over pages is awkward, and it would be great to fix that, but as I mentioned in my prior post, not having all the text elements present in the PDF is a show-stopper for compliance content.  

I just received a request for another compliance course today, and would love to have some good news for my clients.  As others have mentioned, the chief value of the PDF export is to be able to offer clients a hard copy version of the full course content with only a few clicks (and no editing in another software).  Thanks for any updates you can share on this point!

Irina Poloubessov

Dear Alyssa,
Thank you very much,
We do not need a control feature, sorry for not being clear on that, for us it is fully enough that Rise won't break the images. It is just a solution of other free editors to postporcess Rise output is a burden. Hopefully this will be resolved soon! Thank you very much for supporting!

Elizabeth Collins

Greetings, everyone. Hope that someone can assist... When I export to PDF, I'm just getting a single blank page. None of the content that I've built.

When I published the sample course (Wellness, I believe), I have success, but not with the courses I've built.

Thoughts on where I might be off the rails?

Many thanks in advance.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm so sorry you ran into this roadblock! Gren shared with you that we're working out an issue with publishing Rise courses to PDF when the course contains a process block. I know this has caused a major hurdle for you, and we're committed to keeping you posted on our progress. As soon as this is fixed, we'll let you know!

LaVon Bowman

Leslie, I am creating a course in Rise and the SMEs want pdf versions available for all the students. I created them and I used Adobe Acrobat DC. I set my preferences in Acrobat to display at 150%. I have 7 courses and I have inconsistent fonts in all the pdf files even though I have set all the fonts and style in Rise to be identical. Why are they displaying differently and is there something else I can do either in Rise or Acrobat to solve this issue? Some are perfect, some are very difficult to read (very small). Problem is the user will print these out not always use the digital version. That is where the real issue is because if the viewed them on the computer they can always zoom in. That is not possible, of course, with a printed version. Have they found a solution to this problem yet? the last posting I see on Articulate was a year ago. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Crystal Horn

Hi everyone,

Exciting news! We've enhanced collaboration in Rise 360. Find out about different collaborator roles here. This update means collaborators will be able to export to PDF as well!

And this isn’t the only cool feature we released today! Check out our What’s New page for the full list. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. 🙂

DJ Irvin

Hi - I love that a PDF can be created from a Rise course! 

For my next project I am considering Rise to create an interactive workbook.

One that could print a clean PDF workbook which learners use as a hard copy, but also an online workbook.  Ideally I would like the online workbook allow the learner to take onlines notes, then being able to print it with what they have written.

Is this possible with Rise or am I way off base?  If not, any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Ben. Currently, the PDF is perfect for meeting compliance requirements or having a quick and easy print-off of your course. We don't have immediate plans to customize how the PDF output displays, but we'll let you know if that changes.

If anyone in the community has block combination ideas with PDF formatting in mind, feel free to share!

James Perry

I'm so glad this feature exists, but I'd like to request a couple of tweaks!

1. I'm finding that when I publish my Rise courses as PDF files, there's no indication on any of my knowledge check or quiz questions (multiple choice or multiple response) as to which answers are correct/incorrect, and I'm having to modify the PDF file manually to indicate these. It would be most helpful if the correct answers were checked

2. With the courses I'm building these days, I'm adding some Storyline elements. The Storyline files contain multiple layers. In the PDF export from Rise, I'm only seeing the main layer / default view of the Storyline elements. Any way to make this so that it published all layers as separate images? I'm guessing that's probably not possible but thought I'd ask anyway. 

Thanks!