Rise and adding Audio

Nov 10, 2016

I'm playing around in Rise and I cannot see a way to add audio. Is this not possible? Currently I'm looking at an Image and text, but I would want to add audio to almost anything. This would be highly disappointing.

109 Replies
Tonya Thomas

A reason? That's easy!

This can be considered an essential element where UDL, accessibility, and learning preferences are concerned. Sure, some with disabilities may already be using a screen reader, but others may not have and may still need the learning support.

I have ZERO disabilities and I learn better when I am reading and hearing the words aloud....allows me to process faster and not fall asleep with a bunch of reading. Perhaps counter to what Mayer says about designing to avoid cognitive overload with media, but users should still have the option to learn as they will.

Jim Swike

I have been using Text to Speech option in Articulate. I add the text I am using in my Rise lesson, export the audio and add this to Rise courses. This gives the learner audio and visual options.

Jim Swike
Faculty Technology Training Manager
Adjunct Associate Professor
St. John's University, St. Augustine Hall, Room 401G
(718) 990 - 5914
My Webex Room: https://sju.webex.com/meet/swikej

This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Jim Swike

Thanks Alison, will do.

Jim Swike
Faculty Technology Training Manager
Adjunct Associate Professor
St. John's University

This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

BEx Academy

Hi everyone,

Some of the comments asking for audio for narration in Rise are a year old. Has any progress been made this or are we still asking people to submit ideas for feature requests?

I love Rise because it's fast and works so beautifully on mobile devices, but I can't ask our mobile work force to read chunks of text on their phones. 65% of our workforce are blue collar, many of them drive for 10 hours a day and others are NESB learners so narration is a must if we want to engage them.

Roni Borri
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Kimberly!

That sounds like a really cool interaction! Since you need to use audio, perhaps the Flashcards interaction isn't the best choice.

I wonder if you could build this interaction in a Blocks lesson using Audio blocks and Continue buttons? Here's a sample I put together for you. Do you think that setup would work for what you're looking to do? 

Probably a dumb question - but how did you get the 'click to hear the audio response' button to hide the audio until it was clicked?

Anthony Karcz

Hey, Roni! It's actually two continue buttons! To recreate what Alyssa did:

1. Insert a continue button and label it appropriately.
  2. Insert an audio block.
  3. Insert a second continue button after the audio block. Click Edit and select Complete Block Directly Above.

This "button/audio sandwich" results in the behavior you saw in Alyssa's sample course. 

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Pryco Solutions

The ability to ask a short answer questions is needed.  I have developed several rise courses recently in which it would have been quite useful.  One additional question type that should be added is a survey style question/set/block. Also, I think the character limitations in the knowledge checks and interactions, such as sorting ad matching should be increased. I'd also like to be able to add a small image into a statement block. For instance, there is a block with the "i" icon, I'd like to have something more related to caution or attention. 

Marilana Rufo

Is there a way to force users to play audio in a process block? It seems people can just scroll through, overlooking the audio, and they are still permitted to continue past the Continue divider that I've set as a barrier (as in, the Continue divider thinks the block has been completed even if no audio has been played).

Jeffrey Crump

It’s perplexing when Articulate product managers outright ignore YEARS of posts where CUSTOMERS are telling you to add a product feature and yet their wisdom overrides these requests and the requirements go unfilled. Add freaking audio features and allow users to turn it on or off just like closed captioning. We can’t be more clear. 

Mindy Beebe

I agree, Jeffrey. I started reading this thread and was hopeful that after 3 years of this request I would find it was by now. 

I create training for folks who have PhDs to may or may not have a high school education. I also need to reach multiple learning styles. Being able to add automatic audio to all Rise blocks.

Please add my voice to this feature request.

Becklar Training Team

I am suprised at how many threads I come across that have been started 2 or 3 years ago asking for features that I am interested in and rise hasn't done anything with the suggestions. Makes me worried that if there is something that I need in Rise 360 that it will fall upon deaf ears even if multiple people have requested it.

I am interested in what has been requested in this thread.