Rise doesn't save progress - will this be added?

Jan 29, 2020

Hi there, 

I recently learned that a published Rise course does not save a learner's progress the way an SL360 course will, either inside an LMS or via web delivery.  This is not ideal as our learners often return to a course to complete it over time. 

Are there plans to add this functionality to Rise courses?  I certainly hope so, as building in Rise is very fast compared to SL360 - and I we don't want to lose the option to publish with Rise. 

Thank you,

Tara

19 Replies
Karl Muller

Rise currently already tracks learner progress over time.

In our LMS, Rise saves all learner progress per course.

When restarting a previous learning session, the Rise menu will load the learner status to date.

Learners will also be returned to the point where the left off during their last training session.

Which LMS are you using?

Karl Muller

Web delivery is a completely different scenario.

Publishing a Rise course for web delivery will never save learner progress, as there is no back-end system in place to capture the learner data. That is the purpose and function of a LMS.

Rise 360 is a course development system; it cannot manage learners or their data as this requires individual learner accounts within a LMS.

Tara Muir
Karl Muller

Web delivery is a completely different scenario.

Publishing for web delivery will never save learner progress, as there is no back-end system in place to capture the learner data. That is the purpose and function of a LMS.

Rise 360 is a course development system; it cannot manage learners or their data as this requires individual learner accounts within a LMS.

This cannot be entirely accurate either, as our experience is that SL2 and SL360 courses published for web, do in fact save the learner's progress when delivered via the same method. ie. without an LMS, behind secure login and within an i-frame. 

Tara Muir

Karl, it is still about Rise courses.  You replied that a publishing for web delivery, would never save progress - unless you mean only for Rise? And if so, then my original question stands for Articulate.

Because the experience is different between the two authoring tools - which is not ideal and does not add up in the context of your reply.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Tara,

When a Rise 360 course is hosted in an LMS, learners can exit and resume with their progress intact. The course will automatically pick up at the beginning of the last lesson or quiz where they left off.

Web-only courses will always start over at the beginning.

If you have other questions about that, we're here to help!

Kris Taylor

Just checking this is still the case. 

My thoughts are without an LMS which applies all data to your user account and can track press that this would be difficult in cloud delivery, due to  having less ways to authenticate and identify who is taking the course at what point, as the URL will be the same. 

Just wondering outside of an LMS, is there an option for saving progress outside of having an LMS. 

Reading this back, I may very well have answered by own question, buy hey ho!