Rise - Horizontal instead of vertical navigation

Feb 07, 2023

We have a customer that wants the courses created in Rise to scroll horizontally, like Storyline courses do instead of vertically. 

Is it possible to change the scrolling?

Thanks!

9 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Michele! Rise 360 lessons are set up similarly to web pages, where content is read from top to bottom. On a web page, you scroll down to view more content.

While we don't have plans to add a horizontal scrolling option in lessons, have you checked out the Process block type? That one is set up with horizontal navigation between each step. 

Karin Hofmann

Hi Alyssa,

It would be so helpful if it was also possible to navigate sideways in Rise. I love Rise so much, but I never get to use it because literally none of my clients want courses that require them to scroll vertically. Unfortunately, the process block option is also out of the question for me. Please, add a horizontal scrolling option to Rise. 

Pequot Academy

Isn't it the other way around?   Rise scrolls vertically and Storyline horizontally.

I've used Storyline in the past and the first thing I noticed in Rise was the navigation, scrolling down a long, vertical page of content.  I also couldn't find the option to change it to horizontal, which is the way most of us read (books anyway, but not web pages as duly noted).   

I definitely don't like the vertical scrolling, preferring fades from one "slide" to another (like PPT) so all the info appears seamless as it's presented to the learner.   Any educational video, whether on TV or otherwise, appears seamless: the info appears, cuts or fades into the next scene, be it a movie or otherwise.   This scrolling down is very awkward and I don't think was the best choice.   If I could say one thing it is that to its credit it's easy to simply scroll back up to review prior information.

Lea Agato

Hi folks! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on horizontal scrolling for Rise courses. While Rise is designed for vertical scrolling, we appreciate your valuable feedback on this feature.

I also understand your concerns about people scrolling mindlessly through your content. One way you can avoid this is by using continue blocks at strategic parts in your lessons to progressively reveal content. 

• Select All Blocks > Divider > Continue.
  • You'll need to make sure you use either Complete Block Directly Above or Complete All Blocks Above settings for your continue block.

Using the Continue button in this way will require your learner to complete interactive blocks in your lesson before moving on to the next section. You can use this for the following blocks: carousel blocks, checkbox lists, audio blocks, video blocks, accordions, tabs, labeled graphics, processes, sorting activities, flashcards, knowledge checks, and scenario blocks.

I hope this helps!