Rise image sizes?

Oct 18, 2023

I'm a bit frustrated with Rise image sizes. I downloaded an animated icon that was very tiny on screen, but when I brought it into Rise it's HUGE. I have no idea how to get images to reflect actual size. They are always too big or too small. I tried the _NOPROCESS_ trick in the file name and that makes no difference. 

12 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Can you share the image? What size is it? Which block did you use? What is the image format?

Generally, the rise blocks are containers that are designed to be responsive. If the image is larger than the parameters of the container it will look the same as images even larger. For example, if I insert an image that is 1000 pixels wide it will look no different than if I insert an image that is 10,000 pixels wide.

You can see some examples in this lesson

Jeni Johnson

Hi Tom, 

I've attached the gif here. I'm also including the link so you can see how small it appears onscreen. I tried the full width and centered image blocks. My biggest challenge has been most images I bring in are far too large. I'm not sure how to get smaller things like icons to show up as their true size. 

https://www.flaticon.com/animated-icons

Tom Kuhlmann

That image is 640x640. On the website, the probably either have a smaller version of the image or coded in some constraints.

Here's what it looks like smaller.

You just need to make the image smaller. I used screentogif (free) and resized it to 100x100. Here's a recording of how to resize the image.

I attached two smaller ones for you.

Danielle Ryan

Hello,
I stumbled across this looking for help with a similar problem - I want to use one of these animated icons for a part of my course in Rise. I wanted to have a thin block in each section that covers documents relevant to that part of the learning.

I was thinking of adding a 'text' block to put the information in, and then upload an image for the background. The image would be a blue strip with the icon on the left and the text would overlay slightly to the right in the centre of the page.

I'm having two problems:

- I can't get the size right, it cuts the icon off top and bottom when I upload it

- and the gif is no longer moving. I put this example (attached) together in powerpoint, saved it as a picture (but changed the file extension to gif) and it is no longer moving.

Is it possible to combine elements like this and for the gif to still be animated? (appreciate that's not necessarily a Rise question) And if not (the animation was a nice touch but not vital) what is the best way to get the correct size so the block appears exactly as I want it.

Hopefully I've explained myself properly, any help much appreciated!

Tom Kuhlmann
  1. The background image will crop since it's designed to respond to the device screen.
  2. You can build an a slide in PowerPoint with animations built in PowerPoint and inserted animated gifs. And then save as animated gif. Attached is an example.
  3. I created a slide that is 15x5 inches and added the animated gif to it and then saved as animated gif. Keep in mind, PowerPoint can save to animated gif, but sometimes those gifs can be a bit buggy. I'd use the screentogif tool I mentioned in the previous comment above.

Jeni Johnson

Hi Tom, 

I'm still confused and having trouble with sizing images for Rise. 

I created an image 1920x1080 to fill the whole section. But when I put in the image as full width the image is blown up so the top and bottom are cut off. I'm not sure how to get an image into Rise that is not cut off, but also not centered. The link to my test is below. Essentially I'm trying to figure out how to have imaging down one side of a Rise course (similar to a website).

Thanks!

https://rise.articulate.com/share/q6x7jGi6r6QVuPvjkaLLpM-GBgP8zjxs