Setting Global Font Color in RISE

Feb 07, 2019

I apologize if I missed any existing posts on this topic.

I am wondering if there is a way to set font color globally in RISE for paragraph text.  It seems to default to a grey color, which isn't enough contrast for us.

To avoid the laborious task of having to manually change that for each text block, is there a way to designate this to apply globally?

I only see the option in Theme settings to set the contrast color and font.  Not seeing anywhere you can designate the color for paragraph text.

36 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Currently there isn't a way to globally set the text color. However, it's easy enough to do it using the templates blocks, which essentially could act as a global setting. 

Create the text blocks you want and set them to the colors you prefer. Then set as a template block. Anytime you need that, you can insert the block and you're all set.

Here's a quick video that shows how.

Kate Stefanakos

Ran into this issue today. This seems like a very basic functionality, and it's odd that there's not a way to set a default global text color. Yes, the workaround above works, but for something as simple as global text color, there shouldn't have to have one. And having to make Block Templates for every unique block I make is annoying. 

Learning Design

I agree.  That solution doesn't really work. We've been doing that on a large project and often when you paste over the text it comes out in a different colour.  It creates lots of extra hours checking and changing. You would really expect this to be addressed ages ago.  It's even more difficult for us as the font colour is slightly different from the default black.  Very frustrating.  Please can we raise another change request for this.  Thanks.

Jane Rutherford

Wanted to add my voice to this. I'm unsure why this wasn't implemented when the new Themes section was worked on? Accessibility-wise it's a headache for us. As soon as you place the grey text on any colour other than pale grey or white, the colour contrast fails the standards, and constantly copying /pasting is a slow work around.

Hope things change soon.

Kristin Augusta

I was surprised when I searched that this was the answer I found to changing the default font color for my theme. I thought I was missing something. With the focus on accessibility, I shouldn't have to create template text blocks to get black font... And certainly not going to go in and change each block manually. Let's get this done, Articulate. Thanks!

Petra DeLuca

So if the default color is grey, and that seems to be an issue with a lot of folks (myself included - I mean, who actually *wants* grey font?), why not just change the default to black? This is a HUGE pain in the a**, as having to change the color on every bit of text - headings, paragraphs, processes, tabs, etc., is a massive waste of time. Please, for the love of Rudy and all that is holy, PLEASE update this.

Meghan McKay

+4 votes on this from my colleagues and I. Such an excruciating pain point that wastes so much development time. 

Share surprise of previous posters that this has been an active request for so many years for something that seems so simple to adjust on the back end with the change of a hex code. 

Articulate, are you able to respond to let us know if this is on your radar for a feature update in 2023?  I'm sure you have a lot of requests to work through, but this seems like a quick win that would make a lot of your user base happy. 

Karl Muller

As recommended by Tom Kuhlmann a long time ago, we created a Block Template for every block type that we regularly use.

Every Block Template was formatted for style (bold, italic, color, size, etc.) before saving. 

Now when we build our courses, 95% of the time we create the course entirely from the Block Template library. 

So we don't have to change the color or any other formatting  options every time we add a new block.

We share the Block Templates with our entire team and it ensures formatting consistency no matter which team member creates the course.