Sharing an html file of a Rise course

Jun 17, 2020

Hi

I've created a 'how to' guide in Rise for a client, exported for LMS and loaded it (I'll post a separate question on this - the double scroll bar is driving me nuts) and exported for Web and shared this output with them. 

So, I understand you can view the index.html file offline once you've extracted the output, but is there a simpler way? Ideally, I want to share only one html file that could be sent on email. As far as I can tell the index.html file doesn't work in isolation (i.e. if I delete the other files in the folder after extracting, it gives an error). Techies reading this are probably going, 'Duh', but as someone from the initially non-tech teaching side I had to check! Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Jessica

4 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Jessica,

If you do not want to publish and run your course under the LMS, then publishing for the Web is really your only other option.

Publishing for the Web will create a ZIP file. If you are going to host the course on a server, you need to UNZIP the file and maintain the file structure. Use the Index.html file in the Content folder to launch the course.

Note: you cannot delete any files after unzipping the course. The HTML file only launches the course. The course consists of many files, so deleting any files will cause the course not to work correctly.

If you want your client to run the course, you need to send the entire ZIP file. Depending on the size of your course, the ZIP file may be too large to email and you may have to use a service like DropBox.

Jessica Kellerman

Hi Karl

Thanks for your explanation and taking the time to reply.

I have exported for LMS and uploaded and also for web and shared that output with the client to add on a partner website.

Its a 'how to' guide for using the LMS and what they would like is something to share with potential learners who have not yet registered on the LMS platform, that the learner can download and access offline (many target learners are in rural Africa where they often don't have regular access to the internet - we use Moodle and they download course content through the app, how to explained in the guide, among other things).Many will do this on their phones, not have access to a computer. I can't share a link to the support area where it is uploaded on the LMS as public access is not allowed, nkt do we want to enable this.

Any further thoughts on how to share a Rise course in a format that can be opened on a smartphone, then viewed offline?

Maybe sharing a dropbox link or similar with the unzipped web output?

Thanks
Jessica