Stop auto-play in embedded video - Rise

May 18, 2018

I have three iframe embedded videos, one on each tab of an interactive tabs block in Rise. During testing, once the section is loaded/displayed on the screen, all three videos start playing at the same time. Is there something I can do to stop this auto-playing? Thanks!

65 Replies
Regina Kirby

Hello - We are experiencing the same issue. We have a videos added to 3 lessons in a Rise course and when each lesson is opened, the video starts immediately.  We want the videos to start when the users reaches it within the lesson and selects the play button. Adding the continue button will work for us in this course, but are there plans to make the video play feature more flexible? Ideally, it would be great if we could choose to enable auto play or not.

Bob Bachynsky

Renz you guys always ask for the file. Is there some way to fix this that you aren't sharing? Maybe because you feel it's too technical? I make several of these a month, all with the same problem. Do I really need to open a support ticket for every Rise I create just to address the autoplay issue? What about updates? If you fix it for me once and I go back an update when the product updates do I need to submit a support ticket?

This issue has been a constant thorn in my side for at least two years, and judging by the age of the comments here it goes back further. I have avoided using Rise on dozens of projects that I would have liked to use it just because of this issue. If there is a fix, share it. I realize not everyone may be technically adept enough to do the fix but give us a fighting chance to learn. 

Renz Sevilla
Hi Bob, Each case can be unique, and some users would prefer not to share their course details or videos publicly in the forums. The autoplay issue can have numerous variables such as browser version, the device used to view, the video host site, and many more. Our team works through each course and variable to determine the cause, and here are some troubleshooting steps that folks can try on their own:
  • Make sure you’re using the latest and supported browser
  • Check Browser settings and behavior
  • Check the host site for any autoplay settings.
  • Check the embed code for autoplay code.
  • Test the standalone video, does this autoplay on its own?
I hope that gives some perspective on our process to narrow down the causes in each case.
Mark Woolway

Hi,

I am also having this issue now and still seems to be no way around this issue in the settings. The video's play regardless of the user starting them. I am looking to have the 2 video's on the course as an optional play so the learners can bypass the the videos should they wish to, so even a continue button will not work in this case, or make the course look cheap by issuing a disclaimer to the learner to just carry on if they do not wish to watch each video.

Please can anyone advise on solutions. 

To recap, I have 2 video's which are optional viewing. They are playing automatically, need to allow the learner to have the option of not watching these video's and not have them play automatically.

Thank you.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Mark. We've seen videos autoplay when they're embedded in tabs blocks in Edge and Firefox. Does that sound like your setup? If not, can you connect with us by clicking here, and privately share with us:

• what block you're using
  • in which browser(s) the issue appears
  • and the embed URL or iframe code if the video is hosted externally

We'll start working with you right away!

Karen McLeod

I really love using Rise, but it seems that you (Articulate) continue to ignore really big pain points in this program. I am having the same issue after finally getting the stakeholders to approve the lesson. Now, I find videos play on their own, but it only revealed itself when uploaded to the LMS to be tested. Multiple videos playing at the same time in certain blocks. I KNOW of your work arounds now. But honestly, its a pain in the butt and I thought all the work was done. It is really disappointing. This should be a feature that can be turned on and off in Rise. You guys really need to pay attention to the areas that IDs are telling you are pain points. You may not be the best game in town at some point...

Karen McLeod

Deborah,

This is how I solved the problem. I realized the "videos" I created using animation in Storyline was causing the problem. So, I recorded the animation I created in Storyline into Camtasia. I still had to make a few tweaks. Rendered it in Camtasia to MP4. Then instead of using a Storyline block to insert the video into Rise from Review 360, I used the video block. That resolved the problem for me. 

Tim Waldron

Good news everyone, I think I found a solution! 

Good News Everyone!

Apparently adding a "sandbox" to the iframe solves the problem:

<iframe src="myurl.com/myvideo.mp4" allowfullscreen sandbox></iframe>

sandbox - blocks all scripts and automations for the iframe-content

allowfullscreen - enables optional fullscreen 

Found it here: html - How to disable auto-play for local video in iframe - Stack Overflow
Sandbox-documentation: HTML iframe sandbox Attribute (w3schools.com)

Going to test a Scorm export now and test if the function continues to work on a e-learning platform. Update coming soon.

@Articulate: Would highly appreciate it, if you could give this a test and if it really solves the problem, please add it to your software documentation asap... 

Update 01:
sandbox seems to be working fine! Sadly our platform seems to be blocking the "allowfullscreen" function. Will have to check that out next week. Probably something being blocked by sandbox, that still needs to be unblocked. 
FYI a collection of sandbox attributes for iframes: HTML iframe sandbox Attribute (w3schools.com)

Erin Buckley

Hi - Has this been resolved and how? I have a Rise course with many videos - VYond videos, inserted in StoryLine, published to Review 360 and added as an Articulate block to my Rise course. As soon as I access the lesson, all videos in the lesson start to auto play. Should I be including the videos in a different way? As others have pposted, this only appears once published to the LMS. Please help!