Stop auto-play in embedded video - Rise

May 18, 2018

I have three iframe embedded videos, one on each tab of an interactive tabs block in Rise. During testing, once the section is loaded/displayed on the screen, all three videos start playing at the same time. Is there something I can do to stop this auto-playing? Thanks!

65 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Erin. Are you adding the video in Storyline to make sure folks view the entire video? If not, are you able to add it directly to your Rise 360 lesson using the embed block?

We'd love to have a look at your actual project files to give you some personalized help. Feel free to share with us privately by using this link.

Tim Waldron

Hi, 

have you tried using a "sandbox"? That seemed to solve the problem on my project:

<iframe src="myurl.com/myvideo.mp4" allowfullscreen sandbox></iframe>

sandbox - blocks all scripts and automations for the iframe-content

allowfullscreen - enables optional fullscreen 

Found it here: html - How to disable auto-play for local video in iframe - Stack Overflow
Sandbox-documentation: HTML iframe sandbox Attribute (w3schools.com)

Erin Buckley

Thanks for your reply. I have been out of the office for family.

Unfortunately, I just don't have time to do a back and forth with this issue anymore. I am so disappointed with Articulate that you have still not adressed this issue globally, rather than as a one-off situation each time a user expresses the need for a solution. This has been going on for ages. Sadly, I will implement my own work around by adding a slide in the SL file so the user clicks play.

Come on - get with it! With so many users needing this fixed, prioritize.

Jennifer Christiansen

Having this issue as well and adding a Continue button ruins the look and feel of the end product. 

Has there been any other solutions developed? 

I resorted to using the tip another User wrote about by adding a "play" slide to front of all my storyline projects being brought into RISE. Again not ideal, but a much better option than the "continue" button. 

Hopefully this is seriously looked at resolving with the new Rise features being added in the future. 

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Tomer!

Storyline blocks play automatically by default, which can cause interference when there are multiple Storyline blocks in the same Rise 360 lesson. Here are some ways to prevent Storyline blocks from overlapping.

• Use only static content on the first slide of each Storyline block so there aren't any sounds or animations to distract learners from other content in the Rise 360 lesson.
  • If the first slide of each Storyline block has media or animations, add a trigger that pauses the timeline of the first slide when the timeline starts. Then, add a button to the first slide of each Storyline block that lets learners resume the timeline when they're ready to proceed.