Storyline, Rise, and the Exit 'button'

Oct 01, 2018

Hi,

I have a SL/Rise 360 question.

Is there any control over the appearance of the Exit button for a Storyline embedded into a Rise?  We are getting feedback from our learners that it's not intuitive to scroll all the way back to the top of a Rise interaction to access the exit button. We are also getting feedback the the button itself is sometimes hidden by the content.  I will also share that I am using the 'modern' player style with menu/controls off. 

Thanks! 

Pinned Reply
Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share! We have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30680.0). An enhancement that's included in this update:

•  Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses now display full-screen on mobile devices when player controls are turned off.

Please update Storyline 360 to the latest version to take full advantage of this feature.

If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help! You can reach out here or privately in a support case.

21 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Gordon!

Are you referring to the Exit Course link that appears at the top of a Rise course? 

If so, you can remove that link when choosing your LMS publish settings, as shown below:

If you'd prefer to give the learner the option to exit the course by clicking an "Exit button" at the end of the last lesson, try this:

1. Add a Button Block.
  2. Click Edit within that button block.
  3. Choose Exit the course (LMS only) from the Destination drop-down list.

Let me know if that's what you had in mind!

Sameeksha Mishra

Hi Allysa,

I am looking for a little bit of customisation in one of my Rise courses. The requirement is that learner should be able to see the exit course button throughout the module. However after he has reached the end of the module, on clicking exit, the course window should close (exit) and a feedback survey link (a link) should open in a new window. Is this possible using coding? I found exit function in index.html. If I write the code to  open the link within this function, it works (i.e. it exits and opens the link). However the link opens even when we clicks the exit button on the first slide, which is obvious as we are using the global exit function. Can anyone help me with this?

Kirsten McLauchlan

Hi Alyssa

So I create a storyline component to go into a rise course. On the storyline last page I have an exit link. to exit course.  but it doesnt work.  

so are you saying once embedded, into rise, it will still show rise, so we dont have to do any exit at the end of the animation?  I am using my own arrows not the standard ones so they hear the audio and do interactions before moving on to next slides in storyline 360

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Kirsten. An exit course trigger in the Storyline slide should also close the Rise 360 course.

Your Storyline block will play right within the Rise lesson on desktop and most tablets. You'll see the Storyline block play full screen on smaller mobile devices, like phones. There will be a built-in X on the Storyline interaction, and once you click that, you should return to the Rise lesson.

If that's not what you're asking, let me know!

Veronika Pöhnl

Dear all,

I also have problem with user feedback who don't realize that there's a built in X-button for storyline interactions in rise, especially when it interacts with content (I added an example (1) where it's on the menu button. Sometimes it's even worse inside texts or on images, hard to find if you don't know where to look for - especially as everything else seems accessible but you can't scroll further or tap anything).
Some time ago I added a storyline interaction that opens with black background (example 2, opened with same device) - which works fine! - but I can't find the difference or what to do to have storyline interactions inserted so they open with the black background.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Veronika. I see what you're saying from those screenshots. 

First, we're tracking requests to make the X to close Storyline interactions easier to see, and I'll make sure I update you here with changes.

Next, disabling the player in Storyline will have the effect you see in your first example: The Storyline interaction appears to open in the lesson, but the X to close it is very hard to see against the rest of the Rise lesson content. If the player is enabled in Storyline, the Storyline interaction opens full screen with the dark background and the X that is more visible. I'll find out if that is by design, and report back!

Alyssa Gomez

Hello, Vish! It sounds like you want the learner to click an "Exit Course" button inside the Storyline block, which will close the entire Rise 360 course. Is that right?

An exit button within the Storyline block will not close the Rise 360 course itself, but you could add an Exit Course button block just below the Storyline block. Here's how:

1. Add a Button Block.
  2. Click Edit within that button block.
  3. Choose Exit the course (LMS only) from the Destination drop-down list.

Let me know if that would be an option!

Eric Santos

Hi, everyone!

I have some great news to share! We have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.78.30680.0). An enhancement that's included in this update:

•  Storyline blocks in Rise 360 courses now display full-screen on mobile devices when player controls are turned off.

Please update Storyline 360 to the latest version to take full advantage of this feature.

If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll be happy to help! You can reach out here or privately in a support case.