Storyline xAPI tracking within Rise possible?

Sep 02, 2020

Hello All,

Does anyone know if there's a possibility to track xAPI data from a Storyline interaction while embedded in Rise360?  Since the only way to add a Storyline module, that I can tell, is using the Review360 publish settings, then import into Rise360, the only data I can get out of that SL interaction is basic completion.

We can track the Rise360 xAPI data from the built-in interactions, but nothing from the embedded SL360 interactions.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

9 Replies
Joel Bialek

Hello, Alyssa.

Storyline gives us some more advanced triggers with the ability send xAPI statements on just about anything, as you know.  Rise can do about 80-90% of what we want to do most of the time, with an easy-to-follow flow. 

Our more complex immersive-branching exercises, for example, track the time between clicks, number of tries, slides visited, and other variables.  In order to use those, we have to take them out of the Rise "flow" and post them as different lessons in our LxP.  It's a workaround for now, but it would be fantastic to keep everything in one Rise course, and still get every bit of interaction data.  

The only data we can get out of an embedded SL interaction right now, is basically completion/non-completion, and that the learner touched the interaction.  It that sense, it's very limiting.

Are there any plans for deepening that integration between Rise and Storyline?

Thanks for your help.

Joel Bialek

Thank you, Alyssa. 

If there's anything we can do to be a part of beta-testing functionality for something like this, please reach out.  I think it's a huge gap between the two products that could be beneficial for many people trying to use and track xAPI data.  

The ease-of-build, along with the user-experience, is what makes Rise so easy to work with.  Storyline is great for heavy lifting and data-extraction, but the canvas and flow are limited when compared to Rise. 

Again, please let us know if there are any beta projects we can be a part of, since I think there's a huge opportunity here.

Nedim Bajraktarevic

Hello @Alyssa,

I saw this thread was passed on a year ago - I wanted to know whether there were any improvements on that topic since then ? 

Tracking the Storyline xAPI data embed in a Rise block would be a key feature to centralize all the Articulate elements into one.

Thanks a lot for your feedback on this. 

Nedim