Text entry blank in Rise

Jan 11, 2018

I'm developing some material and the project owner has asked about the feasibility of allowing end users to input text which could be reported back to our LMS. We'd then view the entered text and use the information to direct future training efforts. I had to tell the owner this isn't possible now but that I'd ask if something like this was forthcoming. Are there any plans for adding text entry as a block/interaction/quiz option?

129 Replies
John Doyle

Hi - Recently had a similar need - getting ungraded, open-ended answers captured in the LMS along with graded quiz questions, without impacting the graded quiz score. Implemented a solution for SCORM 1.2 and 2004 that can be added to exports from Rise. Is likely similar to Zsolt's - couple JavaScript copy/pastes and a couple settings. Reach out anytime if helpful: jdoyle@syllametrics.com . 

Cameron Saunders

Hi + 1 again on this - how many does it take? I've seen more +1's on this topic than anywhere else. We desperately need this feature and cannot use Rise 360 without it.  Meanwhile SL 360 is not responsive - so it can't reach the vast majority of mobile users. People do need to add their own words as answers to complex topics - multiple choice won't do it.  Surely it's straight forward to build? We don't need wrong /right answer either.  Just consider it a pass if they do their "25 words or more'?  Please! 

Sam Hill

We managed to build a solution for this using Storyline blocks. We save the data to a cmi.interaction on the LMS, and use cmi.comments to store the data also, so we can pull it back from the LMS to show alongside a model answer. It's not perfect, as we know Storyline 360 just scales in size (doesn't respond) and also has the negative experience within Rise on mobile, in that Storyline blocks have to be activated by a "tap" before they can be used. We had to make the decision to make the block text and button large enough, so that when they scaled on mobile they were still legible, which makes them look quite large on desktop.

It would be great to have this as a native solution though, as whilst our solution is good, the mobile experience isn't great.

Sam Hill

For anybody interested, I have developed a SCORM 1.2 Storyline block that can be used to collect input from a user on an LMS. The block can also be configured as a mandatory completion.

It is fairly simple to configure and publish to Review 360 for inclusion in your Rise 360 project.

There are a couple of configuration options:

id: Define the ID of the activity, e.g a question text. This is used for the cmi.interactions.id and can be used to identify the question/response in the LMS report

charactercount: How many characters the user should enter before the Submit button is enabled. 

Unfortunately with it being a Storyline block, we cannot overcome the "Play button" requirement for mobile devices.

We made the decision to make the activity large, so that when it is scaled it is still legible on mobile devices.

Please see the following Peek video for a demonstration: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/22c4982c-8ee5-4d43-b418-e548d124f427/review

Michael Russell

Yes , definitely it is the most needed feature that Rise need, but already 2 years  no forward steps on this, hope it is time to do that. I like the product, but my clients extremely need that and think to change to other tool, but I want to stay with you, so ask you to add it in feature list ASAP. Thank you for keeping your clients satisfied.

Robert Church

agreed

Robert Church
314-856-8369

BILD vision:
As trusted partners, BILD provides learning and development experiences that enable BJC to fulfill its promise to advance the potential of those we serve.

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication.