Using Continue to require correct answer on Knowledge Check.

Sep 12, 2017

Hello,
I am attempting to use a Continue divider to require correct answer on Knowledge Check, but cannot get it to work. The Continue button appears even when wrong answers are given. Am I missing something, or is this a feature that is 'in development'?

Thanks,
Dave

82 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Dave!

The Continue button will activate when the learner has completed the Knowledge Check block, whether their answer is correct or incorrect. 

It sounds like you want to ensure the learner understands the right answer before moving on to the next section, and the feedback section will help you do just that! There you can include details on why the correct answer is correct, why the incorrect answers are incorrect, and so on.

Can you tell us a bit more about how you'd like the continue button to function? We're always exploring new ideas, and customer input is extremely valuable in that process. Thanks for being a part of this community!

Paula Warrington

I had the same question: I've been giving feedback on correct AND incorrect responses, so I'd like learners who initially answer incorrectly to try again in the hope of getting the correct answer (and revealing the context that explains WHY they are right). 

When I set up my course, I amended my Continue Bar text to read "Well done!", not realising that the continue bar would show even if a learner selected an incorrect response - in which case it just sounds like I'm being sarcastic... :-) 

Loek Vossen

Hi, I had the some problem. My solution: question design > attempts > unlimited. When the answer is wrong, the try again layer will pop-up. I changed the text of the try again layer into the text that you would normally see in the incorrect layer. That way, the question will repeat itself until the right answer is given, but you can give feedback on why the answer is wrong :).

James Rimmer

Yes, I agree with Halyna.

The idea of Rise 360 is that all courses should generally be started in that application and for most courses their entire content will be able to be created in Rise 360. The trouble is, the vast majority of the Articulate user base is designing courses whereby our customers have to evidence their employees have learned something, have passed the content and are compliant/safe/competent/etc. We can't do this if the users can simply disregard the fact they failed a knowledge check.

If the 'Continue' module wasn't developed to ensure understanding, personally I'm not clear on the benefit of adding additional clicks into the UX just so users can access content, or perhaps I'm missing something? Right now, it seems as though every course requiring even the slightest ability to evidence compliance will still need to have Storyline elements built into it.

Was that always the intention when Rise 360 was developed? If so, could that please be made clearer in the Rise 360 marketing (rather than suggesting the 'majority' of courses will only need Rise 360)?

Thanks

James

Crystal Horn

Hi, James. Quiz lessons in Rise 360 can be set to require a passing score to continue in the course or even to consider the course complete. For compliance or competency, you can track quizzes built in Rise 360.

A knowledge check is a block within a lesson that has additional content. When we say knowledge check, we're referring to that block as a part of the learning portion of the course. The continue block that follows a knowledge check is looking for interaction with the knowledge check, but it isn't evaluating correctness.

Continue blocks are there to pace learners and prevent them from scrolling through a lesson without exploring blocks, like the accordion block and the scenario block where the learner could be missing important information if they don't interact.

Does that distinction help?

Halyna Sukhomlyna

Crystal, the fact that the knowledge check is a learning portion, not the verification of knowledge, is not quite correct for the regulated environment. I have to have a proof for the regulatory body that the user knows the answer. 

Also, adding quizzes instead of knowledge checks just for the purpose of locking the user until they give the correct answer is not the best user experience, because it disrupts the flow of the course and the user is locked inside until all the answers are correct (in my case it has to be 100%). 

Is there a way to request addition of knowledge checks locking added in future versions?

Thanks.

Victoria Wheeldon

We need to make sure the learner interacts with each knowledge check - they can get the answer wrong, but they must provide an answer before they can complete the course.  Currently, I can't see a way to make sure the learner interacts with the knowledge check - if they scroll past it, that section of the course still shows up as completed, even if they didn't click an answer.  Is there a way to set the knowledge check to 'mandatory'?

Halyna Sukhomlyna

Victoria, you can use the divider with the word "continue" on it, and then in the settings for this divider, choose "must complete interaction directly above" - this way the user is locked for any kind of interaction until they interact with it (I use it for any types of interactions - videos, drag and drop, flash cards, etc.).