Getting Learners’ Attention Back on Course
Gaining the attention of airline passengers can be a turbulent task for flight attendants.
Smartphones, e-readers, and travel fatigue are just a few of the challenges flight attendants face during the preflight safety demonstrations.
To recapture passengers’ attention, many airlines have transformed their in-person and video-based safety demonstrations.
The airlines’ efforts have been so successful that passengers often record and upload the safety demonstrations to YouTube. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Southwest Airlines: Hilarious Southwest Flight Attendant
- Air New Zealand: Mile-high madness with Richard Simmons
- Delta: In-Flight Safety Video
- Air France: Très Chic Safety Demonstration
- Qantas: Safety Training Video
Whether you’re designing e-learning for puddle jumpers, transport carriers, or fancy private jets, there’s always a creative way to engage learners.
And that’s what this week’s airline safety training challenge is all about!
Challenge of the Week
This week, your challenge is to share an e-learning example for airline safety training.
You can create an interactive safety card using labeled graphics, a safety presentation, guided tours, dos and don’ts, interactive pictures, anthropomorphic characters, or anything else related to airline safety training!
Doors to Arrival, Crosscheck and All-Call
I travel a lot and still never understood what phrases like “all call” and “crosscheck” mean. Thankfully, there’s a YouTube for that:
Free Airline Safety Announcement Scripts
Here’s a great collection of safety announcement scripts you can use for reference:
There are dozens of websites, infographics, and videos for airline safety training. I pulled a few together to help you get started:
- All Safety Cards: Your guide in the world of airplane safety cards
- Airtoons: In-flight safety cards
- Airline Safety Cards: Great collection of airline safety cards
- Design for Impact: Fifty Years of Airline Safety Cards
- Create Your Own Spoof Airplane Safety Illustrations by Spoon Graphics
- How to Speak Airline: A Glossary For Travelers
- What Airlines Won’t Tell You During The Safety Demonstration
- Inflight Passenger Announcements: Great collection of announcement scripts.
- Airline Announcements: Audio recordings of the common pre-flight announcements.
- Airline Safety Speech: Good overview of the common aspects of the preflight safety demonstration.
- E-Learning Examples: In-flight safety videos
Last Week’s Challenge:
Before you prepare for your e-learning takeoff, check out last week’s flight log for a complete listing of learning journals your fellow e-learning pilots shared:
Wishing you safe travels, E-Learning Heroes!
New to the E-Learning Challenges?
The weekly challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.