This week your challenge is to design an e-learning template or interaction using Ultimate Gray and/or Illuminating  as the primary color.  Your slides can be static or built out as working interactions. Your goal is to work from a single color and show how you will carry that color across your design templates. NOTE: Your entry can be anything from a rough concept to a polished example. The challenges are open to everyone, regardless of experience or skill level. If you need technical or creative help with your project, please ask in our forums and reference the challenge number you’re working on.

Using the Pantone Color of the Year #308: Challenge | Recap

How to Use the Pantone Color of the Year 2021

To help you get started using Ultimate Gray + Illuminating, Pantone  created five different color palettes and recommended color harmonies:

How to Use the Pantone Color of the Year 2021

You’re welcome to use any one of these color palettes for your template.  Don’t feel as if you have to use every color in the palette. Pick three or four colors from a palette and use those as the basis for your designs.

And if you really want to simplify your color palette, stick with tints and shades of Ultimate Gray and Illuminating.

Working with Tints and Shades

One of the easiest and safest ways to create a color palette is to start with a base color and use tint and shade values for the secondary colors.

Tints are created by mixing white values with your base color while shades are made by mixing values of black.

Working with Tints and Shades

Using a Single Color for Your E-Learning Courses

The tints and shades approach works so well, you could build an entire course using a base color and 2-3 tints and shades.

Tints and shades can be used to establish your type hierarchy and accent colors for graphic elements. Here’s a super quick mockup I put together using one of the illustrated templates from Content Library:

Using a Single Color for Your E-Learning Courses

Challenge of the Week

This week your challenge is to design an e-learning template or interaction using Ultimate Gray and/or Illuminating  as the primary color. 

Your slides can be static or built out as working interactions. Your goal is to work from a single color and show how you will carry that color across your design templates.

NOTE: Your entry can be anything from a rough concept to a polished example. The challenges are open to everyone, regardless of experience or skill level. If you need technical or creative help with your project, please ask in our forums and reference the challenge number you’re working on.

Resources

Did you share an example in one of the previous color challenges? If you did, that’s great! Thank you.

Feel free to use that example as a starting point for this week’s color challenge. There’s nothing wrong with reusing the same example with different color palettes.

To get an idea of what course designers shared in previous color challenges, check out the following challenges:

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you dive into this week’s color challenge, take a look at the most common e-learning interactions and examples your fellow community members shared over the past week:

Common E-Learning Interactions #307

Common E-Learning Interactions #307: Challenge | Recap

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

93 Comments
Ron Katz

OK. I have been working on this project a while, so I just changed the color scheme to the Pantone Color of the year and viola. The Run for Your Bunny Slot Machine (Version III) This version uses actual spinning reels. It is very complex and I will explain the process in my blog (coming soon). DEMO: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/d2772453-198b-4f25-9396-4c7eebbb0dd6/review I recommend you use the new Zoom-to-Fit option on the gear and that you move the slider to play 3 lines at once. If you are lucky enough and play the game long enough you might get it to crash! If you aren't so lucky, you can always play again. Here is a blog post which begins to explain the mechanics involved in this true scrolling slot machine - BLOG PT 1: https://baerconsulting.wixsite.... Expand

Kimberly Eng
Jodi M. Sansone
Jodi M. Sansone
Amy Aston
Amy Aston
Akshaya Garg
Carrie Gauthier
Ivett Csordas
Dr. Nadia Siddiqui
Adam Gavarkovs