360 Image Usage

Oct 21, 2021

I am trying to learn the new feature and using 360 Degree Images. My company's focus with this feature will be walk-throughs of our various facilities and buildings.  Our thinking is similar to Google Maps where you can drive down the street and see everything around you, and then turn around and walk back to where you started. 

I have been able to set the default view so that as you move forward down the hall (in either direction) you don't have to turn the image to to find the icon moving you to the next slide/image.

However, I'm running into an issue when I turn around. I have two unique scenes with the each slides' picture default view set. One scene moves me forward in the hallway, while the other moves me backwards in the hallway, and I can move up and down the hall. But once I turn around once the view the user sees becomes screwed up due to the slide property. I can't set the slide to "reset to initial state" or "resume saved state" because I could be arriving at that slide from two different directions. "Automatically Decide" property doesn't always choose the right view, meaning I could have walked backwards turned around and return to the slide walking forwards down the hall and the slide shows me walking backwards. 

Any thoughts on how to ensure I always get the correct view when I return to the slide. I'm thinking it will require some variable manipulation, but I'm not sure what needs to happen.

Thanks,

Jeff

4 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your 360-degree image project.

Would you be able to share your project file for the community to take a look at? If not, I'd like you to share your project file with our support engineers to investigate what's happening with your permission. You can share it privately by uploading it here. It will be deleted when troubleshooting is complete.

Chris Reynolds

I've found a similar issue to Jeff. People seem used to Google Streetview which keeps you facing in the same direction as you move from space to space.

In Articulate, we can't define where North or zero degrees are, so  when you walk up and down a corridor, the experience is somewhat disjointed.

So I'm going to submit a feature request to allow us to define on each 360 image the "zero point" where zero degrees should be measured from. When you are viewing a 360 image, Storyline knows where you're pointing relative to the zero point of the 360 image you're in. When you move from one 360 image to another, you can (optionally) commence pointing in that same direction.

I'll tidy up my description and include some diagrams but I think that that would be a worthwhile addition for guided tours around physical spaces.