508, page titles and iframes

Mar 15, 2021

I received this message from the company testing my 508 compliant course developed in storyline. 

Page titles are not defined for each page. A page title helps users with vision, mobility, and cognitive limitations differentiate and identify content and easily navigate between web pages.

iFrame Name (example)

The iframe does not have an accessible name or [title]. The combination of accessible name and description for each <iframe> should describe its content. Users who rely on programmatic association to understand content, such as screen reader users, need a

way to determine the purpose of iframe content and choose whether or not to interact with that content.

Does anyone have any clues?   I have titles on all my pages in my story view and I have no idea about the iframe.

6 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hi Sharon!

I'm happy to help! A course in Storyline 360 doesn't use an individual webpage or iframe for each slide. We meet this criterion with Storyline 360 by displaying the course title as the page title that appears on the browser tab. Screen readers announce the course title (i.e., the page title) when the course first launches.

You can find our VPAT for Storyline 360 here.

Adam Gojanovich

Hello! I'm embedding videos in a course from Brightcove. I am attempting to add a "title" or "aria-label" to the iframe code, so that the iframe properly states what is inside it. Those tags are being stripped when I save the embed. I'm able to add other tags like "frameborder" and Rise does not strip those. Is there anyway to add an accessible tag like title, aria-label or aria-labelledby? thanks!