Can't publish Storyline 360 project to Word

Jan 19, 2023

I am trying to publish two Storyline 360 projects to Word so I can share the storyboard. I am able to publish the files to Review, but that does fit my purposes. When I click to publish, it never goes to processing each slide and eventually gives me the pop-up indicating that the file had been successfully published, but there's nothing in the destination folder and the Open Document button does not work - as well as the file folder button. I have changed the destination location, shortened the file name, etc. I was able to publish to Word last week, so I'm not sure what's going on now.

9 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hi Gayla, 

Thanks so much for reaching out! Sorry to hear you're running into this issue when publishing to Word. 

I see that you've opened a case and you are working with my colleague Mark. He will be in touch shortly via email. You are in great hands!

We'll continue the conversation over in your support case. 

Have a great day and happy developing!

Education Manager

Mark was able to publish, but I still am not able to. Not sure what's going
on.

Gayla

*Gayla S. Keesee, PhD **(she/her/hers)*
*Education Manager *
Augusta Museum of History
560 Reynolds Street
Augusta, GA 30901
(P) 706-722-8454
(F) 706-724-5192
www.augustamuseum.org

[image: Mailtrack]
<https://mailtrack.io?utm

Jose Tansengco

Hi Tobias, 

Looks like the publishing process is ending abruptly when you attempt to publish your course. This could be caused by a couple of things, and we'll need to test your project file to identify th exact reason behind the behavior. 

Would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Luciana Piazza

Hi Tobias, 

Thanks for that information on what you're experiencing with all of your courses when you attempt to publish to Word. 

I'd like to share some additional troubleshooting steps that were shared with Gayla in her support case. Perhaps they will help you as well!

Here is what my colleague Mark shared within the support case:

First, can you save your Storyline course in your My Documents or Downloads folder? Be sure you're working on your local hard drive (typically your C: drive) when creating, editing, and publishing Storyline courses. Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption or an inability to save changes. See the following article for more information and tips.

https://www.articulate.com/support/article/create-edit-and-publish-articulate-storyline-courses-on-your-local-hard-drive

Make sure to change the destination of the published output in your local hard drive as well.

I also suggest launching your Storyline as an administrator. You can do that by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "run as administrator."

Lastly, I recommend repairing your Microsoft Office software. Here's how:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Please let me know if one of these workarounds does the trick!

Tobias Spring

Hi Luciana, thank you for getting back to me. I think I get a feel for what is wrong here: We do not use MS Office anymore, but have switched to Google completely. So I do not have office installed on my machine anymore. We have a special software that converts any Office docs automatically to Google docs, sheets, etc. 

But if I understand you correctly, I need to have Office installed to be able to export to Word already. Is that the case? Can you imagine a way around that?

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

you need a local installed version of MS Office to "publish to (MS) word" on your computer

Open Office, Libre Office, Google Docs and any version of "Office in a Browser" is not compatible with current version of storyline "Publish to Word"

perhaps you should install ONE computer in your company with Storyline and MS Office installed to use this feature