Grade not reporting in CANVAS

Feb 19, 2020

CANVAS is not displaying the grade after a learner completes the lesson. An "X" is displayed as a grade instead of a checkmark. Our Storyline file has the following settings:

• SCORM 2004 3rd edition
  • Report status to LMS as passed/incomplete
  • Track using number of slides viewed

Once the SCORM file is uploaded to CANVAS it's setup as a graded file and the display grade on the assignment is complete/incomplete.

As a test, we uploaded the zip file to SCORM Cloud and the file worked correctly.

After not having any luck, we tried adding a complete course button to Storyline which would replace the "track using number of slides viewed" setting, but the results in CANVAS were still the same.....the lesson was not graded. There was an "X" in the grade instead of a checkmark. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!  

78 Replies
Nicole DeSarno

That's basically the response I got too. It's the package and to go back to the "developers." I ended up getting a version to work and record a score back when testing in Scorm Cloud, but it still doesn't work in Canvas... awaiting another response from Canvas support as to what else the "developers" can do. I may elevate to our university rep.

Valenture  Institute

The problem is with the Canvas update, as all SCORM packages were working for complete/incomplete in the canvas gradebook based on slide views prior to the update (point / % score never worked for us). 

We are contacting Canvas daily to review their update as its impacting our students. 

Beth Linden

Hello community - we also experienced this loss of tracking after the 10/10 Canvas/Scorm engine update was pushed out. After hours of work between our engineering team and the Canvas team, our team came up with the following resolution, and when the scorm files were redeployed in Canvas, tracking resumed.

Here is a note from my engineering team:

As succinctly as possible:

The issue is that Canvas is now requiring SCORM content to set a numeric score, even if the lesson is pass/fail. 

Before the update to the SCORM engine, setting the lesson_status to passed recorded the completion in Canvas:

LMSSetValue('cmi.core.lesson_status','passed')

After the update, we had to manually modify the code generated by Storyline to additionally make the following calls to the SCORM API:

LMSSetValue('cmi.core.score.min', 0)
LMSSetValue('cmi.core.score.max', 100)
LMSSetValue('cmi.core.score.raw', 100)

Hope this helps.

It appears that really it's not Canvas that caused the issue, it's the Rustici Scorm engine update. However Canvas really should be more proactive with their customers, and was only moderately active in helping us resolve. Our team really did the work to deploy a fix for our situation. I hope this might help some of you as well. Please let me know if you have questions, and I'll filter through to our engineers.

Cheers and good luck!

Dave Ruckley

Jerad - this is the code:

var player = GetPlayer();
function findLMSAPI(win) {
if (win.hasOwnProperty("GetStudentID")) return win;
else if (win.parent == win) return null;
else return findLMSAPI(win.parent);
}

var lmsAPI = findLMSAPI(this);
lmsAPI.SetScore(player.GetVar("FINAL_TOTAL"), 100, 0);
SCORM_CallLMSSetValue("cmi.core.lesson_status", "complete");

I found it somewhere here in the community but can't find the original thread unfortunately.

Jody Gardei

I was able to reproduce the results in Rise 360. I added a quiz, set the tracking options for when the learner completes the quiz, and was able to get a check in the Canvas grade book upon completion. I also found that the quiz score percentage could be passed on to Canvas, too. 

This fix won't help with my SCORM files that are only presentation materials I want to track the completion of, but it's a start. 

Nicole DeSarno

FYI, I just heard this back from Canvas (bolding is mine):

"With the update that was made to the SCORM tool, any SCORM packages that are not set up to pass back a score were not passing back a score. These updates set the tool to follow the SCORM package set up more strictly. Our engineers did make an adjustment today where if it does not see a valid score, it should look for a "complete/incomplete" in the package and send that back as a score. This will not adjust any previous attempts, so you'll need to double check that it is doing that currently with a new test."

Dave Ruckley
Nicole DeSarno

FYI, I just heard this back from Canvas (bolding is mine):

"With the update that was made to the SCORM tool, any SCORM packages that are not set up to pass back a score were not passing back a score. These updates set the tool to follow the SCORM package set up more strictly. Our engineers did make an adjustment today where if it does not see a valid score, it should look for a "complete/incomplete" in the package and send that back as a score. This will not adjust any previous attempts, so you'll need to double check that it is doing that currently with a new test."

Just tried with a complete/incomplete and it seems to be working again. Thanks for posting this update - I still haven't had any useful info from Canvas about this!

Derrick MacGillivray EdD

Even with the update Canvas made, if I'm using a completion trigger (SCORM1.2), It still isn't reporting correctly. Using the tracking of slides viewed seems to work. We are just tracking completion as well, so give it a try. 

EDIT: I was also able to get a report using SCORM 2004 4e using Complete/Incomplete and a completion trigger on the last slide!