Challenges with making PowerPoint Conversions into WCAG 2.0 Compliant Storyline 360 eLearns

Oct 29, 2021

Hello there Heroes,

I am relatively new to Storyline 360 but have produced some basic eLearns for clients. Any help with the below would be greatly appreciated

When I convert a pretty basic PowerPoint (mainly text, headings and logos), into the Storyline 360 environment, I seem to be having some issues with establishing the accessibility functions in the Storyline 360 converted file. So much so, I am thinking about starting the build from scratch and ignoring the conversion efficiencies.

I have watched videos and been able to turn the functions on etc, but the following is happening

1) When establishing Screen Reader order under Focus Order , the Focus Order Dialogue Box

a. has some line items that appear to be superfluous “off slide” and "on slide" artefacts, possibly “conversion formatting artefacts” that may have been created during the conversion from pptx?  These what appear to be rogue artefacts, often hold pre-populated text within the ALT Text panel.

The problem being, this prepopulated ALT Text is:
• often nonsensical text that you would not want a screen reader to read
• non-deletable, nor editable

It is worth noting:
On the exact same page / Focus Order dialogue box, I can delete and edit the ALT Text of true images etc. (so the function is operational etc.)
I cannot select these strange “artefacts” when the Focus Order Dialogue Box is open, nor once the Focus Order Dialogue Box is closed , in fact once closed, they are not visible. (As such I cannot right click on them and turn off their “accessibility function”)

b. As for the above point a, at times the “conversion formatting artefacts” ALT Text box is empty.

c. Generally speaking:
• how do screen readers manage blank ALT Text boxes shown in the Focus Order Dialogue Box.
• In essence, when able to, is it best to delete all line items in the Focus Order dialogue box that you do not want the screen reader to read via ALT Text?. Again, given I cannot select these artefacts, I cannot right click and disable the accessibility options.

2) When establishing video closed captions
Given Storyline 360 does not read live text, does that mean to employ closed captions on a video, the video would have to be embedded into the eLearn (as opposed to be linked to an external source?) I am thinking yes ....

3) In the Modern Reader, near the collapsible Menu button/function
When previewing my elearn, it says WCAG V1
• how do we make it say WCAG V2?
• having this listed as WCAG 1 will make my client flighty

4) Accessibility Assessment options
a. What graded question types are available?
b. I see Likert scale questions can be used but they are not graded

Any help, link to resources etc, would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Shane

5 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Shane,

Any chance you'd be able to share your .story file with us to walk through each of the points you're sharing and fully understand what you're seeing?

If so, you can share your .story file publicly here or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Shane Lumley

Thanks Leslie,

This short attached excerpt shows the type of issues re artefacts as outlined above in Point 1. Excuse formatting, I just dumped a pptx in to test functionality.

Point 3 is resolved

Still battling Point 4 as well as the program may not have evolved yet to include accessibility options for assessments. (or it could be just me)

Regards and thanks for your time 

Leslie McKerchie

Perfect. Thanks, Shane.

1. The good news is, it's not random artifacts but the content on your slide master. I recorded a quick Peek 360 video to explain this finding.
  2. You did not mention that you had resolved this one, and I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're creating, but you can create closed captions to go with your video placed in Storyline.
  3. Glad you were able to get that sorted. I was going to ask for clarification. 
  4. Most Storyline 360 features are keyboard-accessible, except:

• Drag-and-drop interactions: Provide keyboard-accessible alternatives, such as dials or sliders, until we release fully accessible drag-and-drop interactions.
    • Likert scale questions: Create keyboard-accessible Likert scale questions from scratch using radio buttons and button groups until we release fully accessible Likert scale questions.
    • Storyline 360: Adding Form-Based Questions

If you're having difficulty with a specific interaction, we'd be happy to take a look.

Shane Lumley

Thanks again Leslie,Your wealth of knowledge is proving very helpful.Just doubling down on point 4 - quizzes etc. My specific concern was .... when I reviewed a simple multiple choice quiz, the keyboard functions did not seem to work properly.  As in I could tab through the question however not a;; of the answers. Did you find that the keyboard options worked correctly for you on the example provided?One other question, is, can we disable "autoplay" totally yet once accessibility is turned on. I see we can pause it etc, but the standards suggest that autoplay is undesirable, and forum posts within Heroes suggest we cannot disable it.Regards,Shane Lumley
0466890444Begin forwarded message:

Leslie McKerchie

I apologize, Shane.

I saw the Result Slide on Slide 1.8 but did not see any questions attached for tracking, so I assumed you'd removed them from the example.

I took a second look, and I can see that you have two questions, Slide 1.6 and 1.7. However, it does not look like you used built-in Question Slides. At a glance, it seems like a multiple-choice question, so I've created them using that format. Take a look at Scene 2 in the attached file.

Now, let's talk about slide navigation. You'll want to navigate using the up/down arrows keys to access all text and interactive objects. 

Storyline 360: Slide Content Is More Accessible

Can we disable "autoplay"?

Yes. All of your slides show Advance Automatically. You can adjust the slide property to 'By User.' 

1. Select all your slides in StoryView (select one and press CTRL+A).
  2. Adjust the properties within the bottom right-hand corner window to advance slide By user.

Controlling How Slides Advance