Dark mode for Storyline 360

Aug 26, 2019

Hi there

Just wondering if there is a way now (or will be...) in SL360 settings to have the build tool adjustable to a dark grey background and tool bars like in the MS Office suite and Adobe CC programs. I jump from those with a nice dark grey to Storyline 360 and it's bright white window is a bit of a jolt on the eyes...

Cheers

Simon

120 Replies
Tim Waldron
John Morgan

Hi Tim,

Thanks for checking in on this! Currently, dark mode is not available for Storyline 360. A request has been submitted for this feature. I'm going to add your voice to the request and if it makes it onto our feature roadmap, we’ll update you in this conversation!

Has there been any update on the Dark Mode in the last three months? I'm sure a Dark Mode release is planned by the end of 2023? Would be glad to hear about the planned implementation roadmap and estimated release date for this apparently heavily requested feature. 

Tracy Platt

Hello, Articulate:

I am following up on this request/suggestion. It was posted over three years ago and has generated a fair amount of conversation since then.

I have no doubt that I could find all manner of helpful enhancements on the roadmap, but this is an issue that we contend with daily. 

May I respectfully suggest that you reprioritize?

Thank you.

Tim Waldron
Joe Tansengco

Hi Tim, 

We still don't have any new updates to share, but you can check out our Storyline 360 roadmap here to see which features are currently being worked on. We'll be sure to drop a message here if this feature gets released!

Hi Joe, sorry for being a bit disgruntled, but it's been three years since this feature was requested. As far as I can tell, the Storyline UI runs on less than 20 individual colours. If a native dark mode is too much to ask for, can we at least have the option to remap the existing colours ourselves? 
I'd even be prepared to grab a text editor and reconfigure some .ini-files, if you can provide documentation. Anything would help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tom Johnson

Going by the roadmap, dark mode isn't even under consideration. Considering how many responses this has gotten, it seems like maybe this should be a priority. Comparatively few people visit these forums and even fewer comment, so (currently) 83 requests for this is statistically pretty high.

Also noteworthy is that many accessibility features in general (dark mode is considered an accessibility feature, by the way) are not prioritized. "Closed Captions For Video" and "Accessible Feedback Layers" are currently in development, which is good, but "Video Transcripts," "Multiple Audio Tracks," and "Multiple Closed Captions" are below a number of "nice to have" features. IMO you should be prioritizing ALL accessibility features. Being fully accessible is something that will improve usability for countless users of both Storyline and the projects we create with it.

Jordan Perry

As Dark Mode isn't even a consideration yet (perhaps due to development complexity?) as a compromise, perhaps just change the current skin from those horrible light greys/whites to black/dark greys, like what you have done with Replay 360.

Personally, the ability to switch between light and dark mode isn't important, as I would have dark mode engaged 100% of the time.

So, at the very least, just update the current Storyline skin!

Pierre Sosa
Tim Waldron

If a native dark mode is too much to ask for, can we at least have the option to remap the existing colours ourselves?  I'd even be prepared to grab a text editor and reconfigure some .ini-files, if you can provide documentation.

I would learn how to use .ini-files if this was an option! Yes!

Michael Wood

I've discovered a solution from a third-party provider called Night Eye. It's a browser extension that employs AI technology to transform white sections of a webpage to black and invert text from black to white. It's worth noting that this extension maintains the original color of shapes and images. Please keep in mind that this tool only operates within your web browser and is not compatible with the Storyline Editing app. Nevertheless, it could be beneficial while creating Rise courses. It's important to know that your clients will continue to see the original white background and black text.

Even this forum looks 100% better using it.