Essay Question

Jan 29, 2020

Hello! I am trying to build an essay question with a limited amount of characters, but the "Maximum number of characters" option doesn't seem to be working. I tested with a limit of 2, but it still lets me write infinite amount of characters...

21 Replies
Ren Gomez

Hi Frédéric,

Thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention! I'm sorry that you ran into the maximum number of characters limit not working in an Essay question. We have reported it to our team as a bug, and continue to keep an eye on it to evaluate how many customers are impacted.

Here's some more detail about how we tackle bugs. I'm really sorry that I can't say when this issue will be fixed, but you're in the right place to stay updated on this bug's progress. 

In the meantime, you may want to revert to a previous version of Storyline 360 to use this option. You can do this by going to the drop-down next to Storyline 360 in the desktop tray app, and select Other Versions...

Vincent Scoma

Hi Alex,

Glad to hear that reverting to a previous version helped! I will be adding your comments to our active report. While I don't have an exact ETA, I wanted to share that our team is careful about testing new updates. We want to be sure that we don't put other features at risk, so I don't want to commit to a timeline before we have a fix finalized.

You're in the right place, and we'll be sure to provide more details as soon as we can!

Ian Buxton

Hi
Just adding me to the people who would like this to work, please.
Not being able to limit the number of character causes problems for me if I enable the user to export what they've written to email. Beyond a certain limit certain browsers cannot handle beyond about 1450 characters.
If we have users who write War and Peace in their answer the email export doesn't fly.

Not a biggie but it would be good to get the field to handle it before as they reach a limit.

Emily Scaramella

I also need this feature to work with a new course I have developed. After testing with my LMS, I realized the LMS does not accept responses over a certain number of characters. The essay question comes up blank in scorm reporting for those over a certain character count. I thought I could easily solve the problem by limiting the characters in Storyline. This is extremely disappointing and has cost me hours of work. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ian, 

It looks like you may be subscribed to this conversation.

Please jump in to see the full conversation and unsubscribe (at the top) if needed.

Your email signature also came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Rob!

We haven't released a fix for this bug yet! When we do, we'll update you in this discussion. 

I'd be hesitant to roll back to Update 35 because we are now on Storyline 360 (Build 3.50.24668.0). Are you looking for the learner to type in a certain number of characters? I'm happy to help you with a workaround if you are interested in sharing your project. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Mark,

This is not on the upcoming roadmap, so I do not have any additional information to share. It is still open with our team, and this conversation is attached so that we can share updates with you here.

However, I've seen folx mention setting this up using JavaScript, and here's one of those conversations. I look forward to other suggestions from others as well.

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone!

I have great news to share!

We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 53, we’ve included important fixes and new features.

One of the fixes we’ve included is:

Essay questions stopped enforcing the maximum number of characters specified by the author.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let us know if you have any questions by posting here or directly reaching out to our Support Engineers