Export translation file to Word gives error 'Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'

Hi all,

I wanted to export a file for proofreading purposes from Articulate Storyline 360, but encountered an error when exporting the word file. I had done this before with Articulate 1 for my previous employer, so theoretically I know what I am doing. However, I keep receiving the error.

I have checked for weird letters or a too long path, but cannot find anything out of the ordinary

I have recorded what happened with Peek:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/83fb8bb7-53dd-4031-a660-f6383be9b3a4/review

33 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Genevieve and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for reaching out, but I'm not sure what solution did not work for you.

  • Is Word open while you're trying to export?
  • Are Word and Storyline installed in the same environment with the same permissions? i.e., both installed on Windows 10 in Parallels for Mac using admin permissions
  • Are you on the latest update of Storyline, which is Build 3.26.18364.0, and using a supported Word version? 
  • Are you saving the .story file and the .doc file to a local destination, following along with the other guidelines here? 
  • Do you see the same error message if you open a new file and export to Word? 
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Phil,

Thanks for reaching out, but I'm not sure we have a single issue that we have reported or that we could update you on. The issues have all been unique to the users and their environment.

I'd be happy to help you as well though:

  • Is Word open while you're trying to export?
  • Are Word and Storyline installed in the same environment with the same permissions? i.e., both installed on Windows 10 in Parallels for Mac using admin permissions
  • Are you on the latest update of Storyline, which is Build 3.28.18944.0, and using a supported Word version? 
  • Are you saving the .story file and the .doc file to a local destination, following along with the other guidelines here? 
  • Do you see the same error message if you open a new file and export to Word? 
Dave Strobl

Hi Phil, 

I am still not exactly sure what happened with my file however to solve the issue I deconstructed the entire file,cutting each scene (there were 18 in total) into separate files. I then exported each of those files for translation. 

Once translated I followed the normal process for import and all translated content came in clean. I then rebuild the master file making sure all my triggers were reset.

I did run into another issues though when getting ready to publish again and that seemed to be a problem with the radio buttons. A changed all of them to a new style and the publish then was clean.

For my instance I believe there was a corruption in the upgrade from a SL2 file to SL360 and other random issues popup up. I was unable to determine where the root cause was as there really didn't seem like a logical pattern arose. Articulate did take a ticket out for me and John Say did a great job for me hunting down a couple corrupt graphics that helped me remedy the situation.

IMHO, I  think there might be a weird little glitch somewhere but so difficult to pinpoint, it would be next to impossible for the SL engineers to figure out.

Not sure this explanation solves your problem but I hope it gives you some new ideas to try!

 

Dave