How can I install Storyline 360, and the rest of the bunch, to a D: drive, not C:?

Feb 09, 2017

It would be great to run Articulate programs from an SSD drive.  I tried using the Command Prompt Technique referenced for SL2...  https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-change-the-installation-location-for-articulate-storyline-2

But I had no luck.  It still installed the '360 installer' on the C:drive.  And the 360 installer just installs programs where ever it's sitting.  

Anybody done this successfully?  

Pinned Reply
Leslie McKerchie

Hello everyone,

Great news! We released another update for Articulate 360, detailed in our version history.

The item you'll be interested in is:

New: Choose the directory on your local computer where Articulate 360 apps get installed. Learn more about customizing your install folder.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

37 Replies
Soren J Birch

Suggestion made. 

Roos, Dan: Until the day comes when Storyline 360 can be installed on a drive of your choice, like it should be, screw with the file system using Link Shell Extension to create a junction between the original directory on the C drive to a new one you make yourself on a different drive.

(you cannot run the software off a Network drive, mark you)

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Or use Windows own mklink.exe from a CMD prompt with Elevated Priviliges to create a hard link to a directory (so called directory junction)

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\"

You should move the files first. And perhaps try on something less critical, like install some innocent little shareware tool, then move it to the D drive and mklink on that, see if it works.

Requires local Admin privileges and is probably something which will give IT nervous twitching. However if you do it right it will fool Articulate 360 into using the C: path but really its writing to the D: drive.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Ross.  Thanks for checking in.  I saw that you submitted a support case as well (01057621) for help with installation on a different drive.

We are always happy to extend your trial (or offer another trial period) if for any reason you aren't able to fully evaluate our software.

Once you have installed Articulate 360 and are able to run the apps, please let us know here or in your case.  We can reset your trial period!

Jeremy Terhune

Ashley, this is unbelievable to me this is not a default feature of Storyline 360 and such a workaround has to be used.

My company just purchased a license for 360 and we can't install the software on our secondary SSD drives or partitions separate from the filesystem because this extremely basic and common feature is missing.

Why wouldn't you allow install of the software on the non-system drive?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Phalon,

I'm sorry that you're hitting the same snag here. Articulate 360 is continuously validating your subscription, pushing update information and having a lot of elements tied to it, so installing it outside of these defined locations isn't something that we can support:

• 32-bit Windows: C:\Program Files
  • 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)

We have had large organizations/companies look at modifying our install locations as they're able to deploy the install and any updates via a command line. That's something our team can offer a bit more detail on, but it's not something we have documented for sharing in ELH as it's designed for an IT manager, and not an individual user.

Michael Wetherill

Hello, I'm doing research for a new tool to introduce for my companies production of e-learning course but I can't find out how to customize the installation, specifically changing the install directory.

Has this feature not been added yet?  It's definitely a no go if Articulate doesn't add simple feature requests that are over a year old.

Jeremy Terhune
Soren J Birch

Suggestion made. 

Roos, Dan: Until the day comes when Storyline 360 can be installed on a drive of your choice, like it should be, screw with the file system using Link Shell Extension to create a junction between the original directory on the C drive to a new one you make yourself on a different drive.

(you cannot run the software off a Network drive, mark you)

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

Or use Windows own mklink.exe from a CMD prompt with Elevated Priviliges to create a hard link to a directory (so called directory junction)

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Articulate\"

You should move the files first. And perhaps try on something less critical, like install some innocent little shareware tool, then move it to the D drive and mklink on that, see if it works.

Requires local Admin privileges and is probably something which will give IT nervous twitching. However if you do it right it will fool Articulate 360 into using the C: path but really its writing to the D: drive.

This is the only solution right now that actually solves the problem.  Thank you Soren!

I'm not sure why it's so hard for Articulate to implement a feature that's standard on even the most basic install packages, but if you want to install SL360 to a different location, follow the steps above.

I find it really ironic that Ashley/Articulate's position is that because of the frequent updates, it simply wouldn't be possible to install to a new location. I suggest you look to Adobe Creative Cloud as they have a similar subscription model, but have somehow managed to do what you consider to be impossible.

Michael Wetherill

But it has been requested.  So it seems you won't be adding it?  I mean it's been requested in this post before and if you're asking me to do what people did years ago and it never will get addressed I have very little faith i Atriculate's ability to innovate and progress the software.

Nick N

I'm going to second and third what everyone is saying here: many of us have smaller system drives and don't have the space to install software on it. I'm actually not able to install because I don't have sufficient disk space on my system drive.

Seems that most other software has this functionality, I'm shocked there's no preference item to simply change install location!

Jean Plescha

Hello, I am on trial for Storyline 3, and I am not able to choose where to install the software when I launch the .exe (like any other software in the history of Computers). Does this mean that it is still not possible to install the software on a different drive? I have a Dedicate applications F drive and I dnot install any application on my OS drive. 

If it has become possible please help, this will determine decision to purchase, yes it is that important, thank you kindly.

M Diaz

Hi! I just dowloaded articulate 360 on my very small C drive because it seems like there is'nt yet the option of downloading it on a D drive. I just discovered that people are struggling with that since 2 years now, are you serious folks? 
Storyline is a must have for my job to come, and I can't even do the trial because of a cimple feature missing? 
As I won't buy a new PC for you and I have a very limited range of allowed actions on my computer, I would like to have a simple answer : 
Is your dev team trying to do anything about that right now, or should I turn to the competition ? 

Jerry Fernandez

Restricting my ability to manage my own software installation and backup processes is unfortunate; even Adobe lets me choose where to install my software!  I partitioned my hard drive to separate my OS from my applications, which helps to manage resources and memory. I'm sure your IT folks area ware of this "best practice." But, to restrict that feature, even though it's been a standard software install feature as long as I can remember, seems like a larger issue at play from Articulate, Inc.  

Nevertheless, trials are to help me determine whether the software will work in my environment, so I can invest in a product, or in this case, decide to remove it from my list of hopefuls. Even though it has features I like, I cannot change my work environment and must learn to let go and move on.   

Taylor Kenney

Can we get an update on this feature?

This really, really needs addressing. I'm WFH for coronavirus for 6+ weeks and I have to commandeer my personal C drive to do my production work - I have a 2TB SSD empty and waiting to be used - yet it's useless due to install restrictions. I will need to reconfigure my entire home PC setup to accommodate.

Please address this soon.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Taylor!

I'm happy to offer an update! I know we are all navigating these changes together.

Right now, we aren't changing the path of the installation for Articulate 360. Articulate 360 is continuously validating your subscription, pushing update information and having a lot of elements tied to it, so installing it outside of these defined locations isn't something that we can support.

If you have any additional questions, I'd recommend reaching out to our team in a support case!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.