How to Export Storyline 360 project to PowerPoint?

Dec 17, 2018

Hi,

I would be grateful for any advice on how to export or convert an existing Articulate Storyline 360 project into a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation? 

We use Articulate often but on an upcoming occasion we need to be able to quickly export/convert our .story presentations to PPT; any solutions?

Thank you so much!

Respectfully,

Andrew Farmer

57 Replies
Tom Kuhlmann

Assuming there's no interactive component like clicking buttons, drag/drop, etcs, here's an idea:

• Go through the course with a screencapture tool to create a video of the course. 
  • Capture at a really low frame rate (lower frame rate gives you fewer images)
  • Output the video frames as images 
  • Pull out the images you need
  • Insert the images into PPT slides

That will let you capture all of the Storyline screens and use them in PPT.

I am writing a post on this for the blog, was playing around with this idea a few days ago. 

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Humberto!  Storyline is built to product interactive e-learning that doesn't always follow a linear slide path.  Also, lots of functions, like triggers and layers, aren't supported in PowerPoint.  There's no way to directly export your Storyline content into PowerPoint format.

Why were you looking to reuse your Storyline content in PowerPoint?  Tell me more about your needs, and I'll see if I can help find a way!

FMPE Residency Account

I am interested in this too.  I don't necessarily need slides in order or functioning as a powerpoint presentation, but I would like to export the slides as PPT, and have the voiceover scripts attached.  The reason for this is that while we are developing courses in English, once they are pilot tested and finalized we need to translate them to French.  I am hoping to give a picture of each slide to the translator for context, the text of the slide in a way that can be edited, and then the attached voiceover script.  I would like the three things for each slide together, but the content for each slide can be a separate entity.  The easiest way I can think of to do this would be to export everything to powerpoint, and use the speaker notes for the script.  This would save me from having to make each update for the course in two places (the articulate file and a separately maintained file to use for later translation).  This is especially helpful when we have multiple versions of something being reviewed for feedback, or if we put something in and later take it out again.   If there is an alternate option for exporting for translation, please let me know.  Thanks!

Katie Riggio

Greetings, FMPE. Thanks for that context!

With your setup in mind, I've got a few ideas for us to explore:

• If you need a course in multiple languages, Storyline 360's translation features can help with that. Click here to see our handy guide on translating content!
  • Publish a Course to Word: A great option to use for reviewing courses and making annotations. Keep in mind that this published output won't be editable so any edits will need to be made within the .story file in Storyline. 
  • Publish Projects to Review 360: Stakeholders and subject matter experts can comment on the course in Review 360, and then the author can reference the feedback as they go back to make changes.

Let me know what you think! I'll also share your feedback with the team and let you know if we make changes in this area. 😊

FMPE Residency Account

Thanks for the follow up.

We do publish to review 360 and collect feedback from multiple people.  My question was concerning translation, and the ability to export to a powerpoint type format.

As per my message above, I'm really looking to export to a format that allows the translator to see an image of the slide for context, has the text available for translation, and also has the voiceover text all in the same place.

I have found that the XLIFF format doesn't really work for us, as not only does it not provide the image of the slide for context (eg. how much room is available on the slide for the text, etc), but also translators that are translating more to a regional dialect and/or for context often don't seem to know what XLIFF is, let alone know how to use it. 

A simple way to pull the main elements together for the translators in one place, and using software that most people have access to / know how to use would be helpful.

Amy suggestions where I can get the image, editable text, and voiceover text all in one place?  Without having to maintain separate powerpoint files with changes?

Thanks!

Lauren Connelly

Hi Calvin!

As of now, there isn't an option to move Storyline files back to PowerPoint. One option that I could see working for you is using the Slide Master feature. 

Slide Masters are used to control the default themes, colors, fonts, text, and objects for slides throughout your course. They're big time-savers, letting you apply the same look and feel across multiple slides all at once.

Kelley L

Here's the thing - I need to create downloadable job aids to go with our elearning. I don't need animations or triggers for handouts. If I was able to export to PPT, I'd have at least a similar looking framework from which to create complimentary materials.

Without the option to export to PPT I'm left with creating it from grainy screenshots, or converting to Word and then converting to PPT which again, leaves the visual quality lacking. I know our c-suite is looking for all our materials to have the same high quality, and I'd like to give it to them without having to recreate the wheel from scratch for every single project.

I'm reading posts about this from 4+ years ago, and it makes me fret this isn't going to be a priority for some time to come. I just want to put in my 2 cents - I'm jammed for time and recreating already edited and lovely content is a bummer.

Christine Boring

I know that this thread is older, but I wanted to add my 2 cents as well.  With the coronavirus shutdown of most businesses, my company is looking for a way to allow people to take their mandatory training off-site in something similar to how PowerPoint prints out.  I suggested the word printout but then all animations are overlayed and the slide is not as readable.  We cannot access our PCs on-site remotely for security reasons.  This is really something that Articulate needs to look into.  If you can import, you should be able to export even with limited functionality.

Simone Johns

Hello, same issues here. Some of our new staff and volunteers have MAC computers so can't access course easily. As an interim measure i want to create a PP so they can at least view the material (it is mandatory child safeguarding training). This is not easy! Have tried publishing to Word but it hasn't came up well.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Simone and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Thanks for contacting us to share that you are experiencing a similar issue.

You mention that it's mandatory training. Do you have an LMS for tracking this content or how are you publishing and sharing the content?

Viewing published content on a Mac is supported in these environments:

• Safari (latest version)
  • Google Chrome (latest version)
  • Firefox (latest version)
Simone Johns

Hi Leslie
I have created a Child Safeguarding training project on Storyline 360. It is now uploaded to our LMS. Unfortunately a number of staff are experiencing issues, including poor connectivity and some are using Macs. I submitted a case to Articulate support about using Macs and received the advice below. This is too complicated for me to roll out to beginners. So I am looking at publishing into a PowerPoint (or similar) so it can be distributed. Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Simone

--------

Michael Bennett

In my past organization, with a reduced number of employees due to the pandemic, it became important for other teams who didn't have Articulate licenses to repurpose my created training content. When I used Presenter 360, I could hand over the PowerPoint slide decks with the exclusion of Engage interactions and QuizMaker slides. Also, the QuizMaker slides could be published to Word (I do wish there was an export from Engage to Powerpoint or to Word also).

But with Storyline and Rise, I lost that ability to share content easily with other teams. These other teams used PowerPoint so our team stopped using Storyline and Rise, in spite of their benefits.

Rise is appealing since it has the best size scaling for use in tablets and smartphones, better than Presenter and Storyline, but the inability to repurpose that Rise content by other non-Articulate teams means that we stopped using it.

Another problem with Rise is that it is stored in the Articulate cloud. I couldn't back up the files locally and if our Teams license expired, we couldn't get to our files at all. Please correct me if I am mistaken on these points.

Claude Berney

Hi Lauren,

I've been facing the same issue, and don't find a solution out. At the moment, not all of my team has a storyline  licence, and I wanted to create a ppt template out of the storyline template that I'm currently using, to allow the team to start working on some material that we would then import.

I need to "export" the storyline template and hoped that your answer to Calvin would help, but following the link in your response, I don't see or understand who I could do it.

As my template is about 25 slides, I'm looking at a solution that would prevent me from redoing everything.

Thanks for your help

Claude

Katie Schwieter

Just want to say I LOVE Storyline and our community :) I'm also adding my voice here, as I've hired a remote copy editor to revise the copy in my courses, but he'd needs the text to be selectable/editable in the version I send to make his changes, or he'd have to re-type everything. He has a Mac. A PPT file would be perfect so he could have all the slide elements in context along with editable text boxes.

If Storyline can already export each slide image (including layers) as a Word document, would it be possible to simply add a way for certain aspects of each slide to be exported as editable content?

Tom Kuhlmann

Keep in mind that Storyline and PowerPoint are two different applications with different programming and file names. They may look similar, but they don't work the same way or have the same features.

When Storyline imports PowerPoint, it's looking inside the PowerPoint file, seeing what's there and rebuilding the content in Storyline. It's creating Storyline slides based on what PowerPoint says is in the PowerPoint slides. Not much different than you opening a blank slide and then building a Storyline slide based on what you see in PowerPoint. 

That's my non-technical explanation. :)

In reverse, PowerPoint doesn't have a feature to open a Storyline file and rebuild the Storyline content as PowerPoint slides. And Storyline is not going to output to PowerPoint because of the interactive features such as layers, variables, the various triggers, drag and drops, etc. PowerPoint wouldn't know what to do with those things.

With that said, I looked over the questions in the thread and here are some workarounds/ideas for those who want their Storyline content in PowerPoint. Most of these do not take much time and are fairly simple to do. 

• Start your course design with PowerPoint.
    • If you are always running PowerPoint content and Storyline content in tandem. I'd build all of your core content in PowerPoint. When it's complete, you import to Storyline and then add your interactive elements. If you need to make modifications to a few slides, modify the PowerPoint, import into Storyline, and delete the old one. That works if you're not changing a lot of content. So PowerPoint is always the core content that is signed off on before you start working in Storyline.
  • Use the screen capture method I described above.
  • Publish Storyline to Word to have a Presentation File
    • This is super easy and only takes a few minutes. The output is a PowerPoint file with all of your Storyline content and you can make it interactive (as much as PPT can handle)
    • Publish as Word. This publishes to an older version so people can open it.
    • Open the Word, save as .docx to convert it.
    • Unzip the Word docx to expose the images.
    • Import the images into PowerPoint and you're done. 
    • Tutorial with tips on editing and adding interactions
  • Publish to Word to make edits.
    • This works when you have a reviewer who doesn't have Storyline but needs to edit the text in the slides.
    • Follow the publish to Word instructions above. Work from either the Word doc or do the PPT import to see the images better.
    • Export a translation version.
    • Make text edits in the translation. 
    • Reimport into Storyline. All of your edits are in Storyline.
    • Tutorial to show how that works.
  • Only One Storyline author
    • Have the people build whatever they want in PowerPoint and then you import those slides into Storyline, apply your theme settings/layouts.
    • If that's something you do quite a bit, I'd create a master slide that has the layouts and whatnot to map to what you do in Storyline.
Deb Gyde

I have been searching for a solution to this as well, and today I tried this with some success. 

Publish from Storyline 360 to Word with Large screenshot size and ticked show layers and show slide notes.  (I have my text/audio saved as notes to act as the transcript for accessibility feature) 

Once open in Word, I saved the file as a PDF. 

In Acrobat DC Pro, I opened the PDF and then exported the PDF as a PowerPoint file. 

This brings in each slide with a screenshot of the slide as well as the notes. 

It is a bit fiddly, but I find this much quicker than taking screenshots of each slide then adding in all my text.    

I hope this helps.