Is Matching Drop down quiz 508 compliance ?

Jun 18, 2014

Hi All, 

I am creating a 508 compliance course. I used a Matching drop down quiz (Default Storyline) but when i testing it with screen reader, the screen reader does not read the content from match column list.

Is there any solution for it or Matching drop down is not 508 compliance quiz ?

8 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Kathy, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

The matching drop-down quizzes within Storyline 360 currently support WCAG 2.1 AA conformance.

We have mapped the older Section 508 standards to the newer Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 in our VPAT:

Articulate Storyline 360 Accessibility Conformance Report

Please let us know if you're experiencing a specific issue that we can help with and we'd be happy to continue working with you on this.

H M

We used the matching drop-down as an alternative to drag and drop to put four items in order.  The 508 test report said, "Jaws reads “combo box” for each drop-down box."  How do we label each drop-down box for the screen reader?  For example, if I want learners to put three items in alphabetical order - "cat", "bat", and "apple" - how do I get the screen reader to read something to the effect of "Apple drop-down box", "Cat drop-down box", "Bat drop-down box"?

Eric Santos

Hi H M,

Thanks for reaching out! I ran some tests and confirmed that JAWS (Version 2023.2302.15) reads the items in the matching drop-down combo boxes. Here's a quick Peek recording of my tests. You can use the down arrow key or the TAB key to navigate to the combo boxes, then press Enter to activate the combo box. When pressing the Up or Down arrow key to scroll through the items, JAWS should read each combo box item.

Let me know if you see a different behavior on your end or if this is different from what you expect to happen. I'm more than happy to assist further as needed!

H M

Hi Eric,

Thank you, however the issue is how JAWS is reading the combobox label.  If there is no way to add a label to each of the drop-down boxes to distinguish them from each other, our 508 trusted testers will fail the interaction every time.  So when JAWS gets to the first drop-down object, it just reads it as "Combobox".  So if I have dropdowns for "Cow", "Apple", and "Bat".  JAWS should read something like, "Cow drop-down box", then "Apple drop-down box" and "Bat drop-down box".  Is there a way to do that, or is this a software limitation?