Matching Drop Down Question - not 508/accesibility compliance?

Mar 31, 2017

Hi all,

Has anybody found out if there is a way to make Matching Drop down question accesible in Storyline?

We work with this program to generate some of our courses and we see inconsitencies between the publicity of Articulate around its grade of 508 compliancy and with what really is...

For example, when comming into the types of activities that are theocally compliance Articulate indicated that the compliance exceptions are Drag and drop interactions and Hotspot questions, but we could see many other compliance conflicts.

For example; The matching drop down allows the user to select the options from the drop down list, but its impossible to make the screenread to indicate (read) the content of the options readed. Has anybody found a solution for this?

Other example is the "Fill in the Blank" option i where the screenreader is not capable to review for the user what he/she has typed.

Something similar happens with the "choose one" type questions, in where the user can use the keyborad to navigate trough the diferent answer options provided, but, when choosin one is not allowed to select it as correct (move it into the right place) to make his/her selection.

Has anybody, solved any of this challenges? Our opinion at this point is that one True/false and Multiple Choice questions are truthly accesible, and this reduces dramaticly the posibilities of this tool to generate compliance accesible course without strong extra programing

Any other opinion?

39 Replies
Ramos A

Hello, Articulate staff...

I´m wondering if by any chance is there any update about this issue. From my perspective drop-down questions are a very important feature of any quizz generation authoring tool (almost a basic essential/must have). When we first reported this issue three years ago we´ve been told that this was being fixed, but its being very frustrating to see no progress in this fix after all this time. This brings your tools to a VERY limited degree of accessibility compliance.

Sorry for my comment but 3 years seems to me more than a reasonable time to fix an important issue, if there is a real intention to do so, but it seems to us that we got some good words from the staff indicating this was in progress but nothing has been done.

We´ll appreciate a precise answer to know; if something has been fixed to make your dorp/down question 508 accessible, (yes/no) and very specially if its planned to make workable (yes/no/when).

Thanks very much in advance,

Becca Levan

Thanks for following up, Ramos! I see my teammate Lauren shared the news here that JAWS now reads drop-down lists correctly in a previous update for Storyline 360.

If you're having an issue with JAWS or another screen reader reading drop-down lists, could I have you connect with us in a support case so we can work with you directly? We'll reach out as soon as we hear from you!

Noel Sapp
Becca Levan

Thanks for following up, Ramos! I see my teammate Lauren shared the news here that JAWS now reads drop-down lists correctly in a previous update for Storyline 360.

If you're having an issue with JAWS or another screen reader reading drop-down lists, could I have you connect with us in a support case so we can work with you directly? We'll reach out as soon as we hear from you!

How then do you leave the drop-down list using keyboard controls only? As I test it, things start very well. However, once inside of the answer list my arrow UP/DOWN keys only cycle through drop-down answer options. I can't seem to leave the drop-down list to return the the normal  text for the next item on the match quiz. Tabbing only jumps forward to the next interactive element, which is the next drop-down. Normally, I would use the arrow keys to cycle to slide content, text, paragraphs, etc., but I seem trapped once inside of the drop-down list.
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Noel.

Thank you for reaching out!

You can navigate the matching dropdown quiz slide by using the arrow keys. 

When you reach the dropdown that you want to adjust, press Enter or spacebar and make your selection using the arrow keys to cycle through the choices. You can press Escape (ESC) to move back to the main region where the text will be read. 

I hope this helps!