Matching slide timeline length to video length in SL2
Note: I have submitted a feature request on this issue, and hopefully this won't be a problem in the future, but in the meantime, I suppose this is a decent enough workaround (although it is somewhat cumbersome). Also, if you have a better workaround, PLEASE let me know.
Unfortunately, SL has some limitations when it comes to the player timeline.
Key among those limitations is the problem of matching a timeline to the length of media. This becomes an issue when building a sample slide for repeated use. If I create a video slide, and then later copy the slide for use with a different video, the timeline remains at the length for the original media. Sometimes the difference is several hundred seconds. There is no way to select an option for "snap timeline to media length". (Also, weirdly enough, the timeline is only listed in number of seconds, not minutes: seconds: milliseconds.)
Here is my workaround until the "snap timeline to media length" feature is added:
1. Replace old media with new
2. Right click media and select "Edit media..."
3. Write down the trim length of new video (here, the times are shown in minutes:seconds:milliseconds) E.g. o5:49:22
4. Grab calculator (I'm a concepts guy, not even slightly proficient at math). Calculate (e.g. 5 x 60 + 49.22 = 349.22 )
5. Close media editor
6. Right click media and un-check "show always"
7. Set cue point at media length+ (e.g. 350)
8. Drag end of media from end of timeline to cue point. (takes forever)
9. Drag timeline to cue point (faster, as I can press the left arrow while dragging)
10. Save and preview