New feature in Storyline 360: Interactive 360° images

Jul 27, 2021

Today we released a new feature in Storyline 360 called 360° images. We think you’ll love transforming any 360° image into an interactive learning experience that invites learners to explore and engage. 

Import any panoramic 360° image, pick an initial view, and resize for the perfect fit. Looking for images to experiment with? Try this collection. 

Once you’ve imported an image, you can add interactions using markers, hotspots, and triggers to capture learners’ attention and add contextual info to the images they’re exploring. You can create custom markers and add hotspots anywhere on the image.   

Finetune how learners interact with 360° images easily. Add progress meters to show learners their progress, and choose how learners navigate through the image to create the immersive experience you want. 

Download the latest version of Storyline 360 to start experimenting with 360° images—and share your projects! We’d love to see them here in E-Learning Heroes. 

172 Replies
Annie Kim

Hi Mehdi,

Thank you for all the great feedback and suggestions! 

Could you elaborate a little more on the first two points? If I make the 360° image smaller on the stage, then I'm able to see objects that I have on the slide master. Maybe you could share your project since it sounds like your slide master is more complicated with a timer? For field of view, are you referring to wanting to change the initial view/camera angle or is it more about wanting to crop the image on the stage? 

As for the glitch, that's actually an intentional nudge we added in. The idea behind that was we wanted the image to move slightly to indicate to learners that this isn't a static image but one that can be moved around. I hear you though and we are considering adding a way to toggle that nudge effect off.

For the last point, one hack would be to copy/paste the image if you're using the same image and it will keep the same initial view. Replacing an image from the stage will also maintain the same initial view. 

We really appreciate yours and everyone else's feedback as we're in beta and we consider how we want to build out the feature more so keep them coming! =)

Mehdi Achbaro

Hi Annie, 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my comments.

1. About the Slide Master because I have a transparent header I need it to be in top of the 360 image, what I did to get around the issue is duplicating the header in all the slides and leaving all the coding in the slide master and it seems to work. 
  2. For the field of view (FOV) the 360 image seems so stretched from the right and left sides, so there is no way to tweak the FOV in the 360 editing tool, I did found  a solution by editing this value ''this.zoom,c=2'' inside the three.min.js file, but I have to do it every time I publish :).
  3. The last point, that's what I did but I still have an issue with it since I have a 360 environment with different elements that the user can click so I can't predict the users point of view / position. In the previous software I was using we had an option that's called ''Same spot as current media'' so it gave us the same exact spot as the previous 360 image.

One last comment I want to share, I also find the speed of the panning in the 360 image so fast, that may cause motion sickness for some users, its also something to consider, I am still look for a way to tweak it :).

Thank you again for your help.  

Tyler Braddick

Hi Mehdi,

Thanks for the follow-up!

1. I'm glad that you've found a workaround for this. 

2. While I'm glad you found this workaround by modifying the three.min.js file, this falls outside of our scope of support. I think this will be a great solution for other community members to reference, so we appreciate the sharing of information! 

3. If I understand this correctly, you're looking for a way to have the user walk through multiple images and retain proper direction throughout. 

For all of these and your concern about the speed of the pan in a 360 image, I would recommend submitting a feature request here

Thank You,

Tyler

Annie Kim
Hi Chris, there are a couple built-in marker states for unvisited, selected, and hover, but you can't customize it any further at this time. I'd be interested to hear what kind of states you'd want and why though!

Text displaying on mouse hover not working is currently expected behavior, but it's on the roadmap!

Laura Ingle

This is amazing! Now if I can figure out how to format an illustrated panoramic image to import. When I import the panoramic, it just gives a tight circular view. I read that it needs to be an Equirectangular panoramic. So I'll need to set all that up prior to import. I'm wanting to use illustrated background rather than 360 photograph to make an interactive video. Or gamified experience/tour. Any tutorials out there on how to convert a regular panoramic illustration into a equirectangular panoramic?  I so want to learn how to use this feature! looks awesome!

Richard Campbell

I would like to create an image from a very large Excel file to allow students to view annotated cells in various areas of a spreadsheet. I have Photoshop and found some tutorials on creating 360-degree images, but the tutorials focus on images of nature - like the Grand Canyon. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could accomplish my objective??

Pete Smithies

I originally created 360 images with an SLR camera and then stitched with PTGUI - and then inserted in to Storyline using the web object functionality - but now I am using this beta and taking images with an Insta 360 One X2 - not as good quality wise as the PTGU/web object workflow (because you can zoom in), but more than adequate with this long (I think over 8 years requested) addition to Storyline - I hope that the final version doesnt take as long!! If you do go down the Insta 360 route... I highly recommend you shoot 360 pans in HDR

Iris Schlabitz

Hi,

This is such a great feature, so I am using it already in my Rise modules. However I keep having the problem that the 360 Degree SL does only show a black screen once it was integrated into Rise - or lets rather say, it turns black after re-visiting the Rise chapter that contains the 360 Degree SL. Also, when previewing, it mostly displays a black screen, sometimes it works perfectly though. I could not yet figure out why this happens, but it may be worth mentioning this bug.

I am using Edge browser.