New feature in Storyline 360: Interactive 360° images

Jul 27, 2021

Today we released a new feature in Storyline 360 called 360° images. We think you’ll love transforming any 360° image into an interactive learning experience that invites learners to explore and engage. 

Import any panoramic 360° image, pick an initial view, and resize for the perfect fit. Looking for images to experiment with? Try this collection. 

Once you’ve imported an image, you can add interactions using markers, hotspots, and triggers to capture learners’ attention and add contextual info to the images they’re exploring. You can create custom markers and add hotspots anywhere on the image.   

Finetune how learners interact with 360° images easily. Add progress meters to show learners their progress, and choose how learners navigate through the image to create the immersive experience you want. 

Download the latest version of Storyline 360 to start experimenting with 360° images—and share your projects! We’d love to see them here in E-Learning Heroes. 

172 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Vincent, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

I appreciate you chiming in to share what you would like to see as well. I'm not clear on what inward vs. outward-facing photos are. 

The perspective of a 360° image is typically standing in one place and turning 360°.

Do you have a sample image to demonstrate what you're asking?

Vincent Colaianni

Hello!

Im afraid I don't have a sample, but what I had in mind was a 360 image of an object that the learner could then interact with and manipulate. So 'inward facing' as in the camera would have been circling the object rather than pointing 'outward' towards a room. My team is creating training guides to troubleshoot printer hardware.

Vincent

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Get Outlook for Android

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Vincent.

It sounds like you're looking to create a 3D object that can be manipulated by the user (such as a printer).

While 3D models are not currently supported, you can embed them as a web object. Take a look at this discussion.

I also wanted to share a workaround by Tom Kuhlmann, and one of our E-Learning Challenges related to this subject:

I hope this helps!

David Anderson

Creating Interactive 360° Images in E-Learning #337Hey gang! Just a quick reminder, you can still share your 360° image demos and examples in our weekly e-learning challenge: Creating Interactive 360° Images in E-Learning #337.

Your example doesn't have to be anything complicated or overly polished. Whatever you come up with, we'll feature it in the recap post. Sharing your work in the challenges is a good way to practice 360° images while connecting with fellow users. Hope to see you in the challenge!

Jerry Donney

I believe I did submit the ZOOM feature request sometime back  (although there is no way to double check).  While on a mobile device you can "pinch and zoom",  it would be nice to allow the mouse wheel (or keyboard shortcut) to ZOOM for users on a computer similar to Matterport and other 3D Space products.  I did simulate this by using Storylines Zoom Region, but that is really clumsy.  I agree, this is almost a necessity for 360 images to be useful.

Penny Spacht

There are so many ways you can use a zoom feature.  For example you could have a course on setting up a home office.  Learners are told to identify what an employee has done wrong or right when setting up their office.  Zoom in on the desk and you see a post-it note with passwords written on it. A printout of a confidential document is sitting on the printer.  

Create a course on household hazards.  Explore the room and identify items that could cause injury or property damage.  Unless you are able to zoom in, you might miss the overloaded electrical outlet just visible behind a couch. 

I see zoom as a necessity, not just something that is nice to have. 

Karen Wicks

I really like this new feature. I'm using it to show staff who've not been in our offices yet the inside of our meeting rooms. One query though - I've been using the panoramic picture tool on my smartphone and it's worked for most images. It always pops up the warning about the 2:1 ratio. But, I have a problem with one image. Storyline keeps flipping the image so it's upside down. A colleague said it might be related to the number of pixels. Is there a maximum pixel number that can be used for 360 images, or could it be something else?

Thanks

Jose Tansengco

Hi Karen, 

The maximum resolution that you can upload to Storyline 360 is 8,000 x 4,000. Anything larger than that and Storyline 360 will automatically scale it down to fit. You can check out this article which explains adding and editing 360° images in greater detail. 

For the flipping behavior: 

• Have you tried rotating the image 180°?
  • Does saving the image to a different format help?

If you'd like to share your image file with us here, I'll be glad to take a look to see what's happening. 

Karen Wicks

Hi Joe,

I've attached the storyline file here. 

In Slide 1 the original image is the right way up, but flipped by Storyline

In Slide 2 the original image is flipped before adding, so Storyline doesn't flip it!

I can't see if the image can be flipped in Storyline so it's the right way up. 

I realised the images exceed the number of pixels recommended, but I have another 360 image that is also larger than the recommended pixels which is the right way up! I'm using my android smartphone to take the pictures.

Thank you for your help

Karen

Jose Tansengco

Thanks for sharing the sample image. I took a look at it and saw that the image wasn't using the correct ratio recommended for 360° images (2:1).

Since the recommended resolution ratio is 2:1, I resized your image to have a resolution of 8000 x 4000, and it looks like this fixed the issue. I've attached a copy of your corrected image file. And here's what your slide now looks like when the updated image file is used:

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/133db27a-10cc-4a70-a140-82bb11fbb275/review

Hope this helps!

Luciana Piazza

Hello Rhonda!

Glad that my colleague John was able to assist you! 

I just wanted to add a quick note: it looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove it by clicking ‘Edit’ below your response. Here’s a quick Peek 360 video if you need help.

Have a great day! 🎉

Judi Lane

I've been creating an environmental ed game prototype in Storyline utilizing 360° images I've taken on the trails at a local county park. I've placed hotspots on the trails so the users can explore the park by having the 360° images placed on separate layers with "show layer" triggers on each hotspot with "free navigation" option.

Problem is, when the user returns to a slide layer they've already navigated from, the hotspots they've previously clicked on briefly become visible for a half-second, even though the "reveal hotspots" effect has been turned off for every single one. And it's only the hotspots they've selected previously; the ones they haven't touched remain hidden.

The brief flashing of the hotspots is a major distraction. How can I keep my hotspots completely hidden, with only a change in the cursor to signal the user it's something to select? Thanks!

Kelly Auner

Hi Judi,

Welcome to the E-Learning Heroes community! ✨

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with your project when adding hotspots to 360° images. If you're comfortable sharing your file with us, I'd like to take a look at what's going on. You can upload it here or privately through a support case. We'll be sure to delete it from our systems once troubleshooting is complete.

Lynne R

I believe Google Street View must be only for Android phones. When I go to the Apple Store and try to search for Google Street View I only see something called GStreet - Street Map. When downloading this app on my phone, it is nothing but ads for games and no app at all shows up. Is there an equivalent app to take 360 images on iphone that are NOT apps filled with tricks to see ads or buy games that anyone uses that takes images that work with Storyline?