New in Storyline 360: Background Audio

Apr 04, 2023

We’ve got news that we think will be music to your ears—you can now add background audio to your Storyline 360 courses! Thanks to this highly requested feature you can set the right tone for your training and keep learners engaged by adding a list of audio tracks that play in the background. And to give learners control over the experience and ensure it’s optimal for everyone, they can toggle background audio on and off as needed. Check out this article to learn more about this new feature: Storyline 360: Background Audio

If you’re an Articulate 360 subscriber, you can access this new feature immediately by updating Storyline 360 via the desktop app. And if you don’t have Articulate 360 but want to try out this feature, you can start a free 30-day trial.

Once you’ve given it a try we’d love to hear what you think! Please share any feedback or suggestions in the comments below. We’ll be working on enhancements for this feature and want to know if there are areas for improvement or additional functionality that you’d like to see. We’re looking forward to your feedback!

~The Storyline 360 Team

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

Good news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.81.31200.0), which includes a feature to control the background audio for each slide using triggers to play, pause, or stop the playlist.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

98 Replies
Vanessa Fage

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out! I understand that you are not seeing the `Lower background audio when slide audio plays` option working correctly.  I created a quick demo project (located here) and when viewing on Windows Chrome, the background audio lowers when the audio clips play on the 2nd and 3rd slides.  Does that work for you too?

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your .story file to begin troubleshooting. Do you mind attaching it to this discussion?

I'll make sure to follow up with you here on any updates with your file!  

Vanessa Fage

Hello Sh,

Hm, were the videos inserted from disk or are they embedded (website videos)?  Please note there is a limitation where the `Pause background audio when video content on a slide plays option` does not apply to website videos.

If the videos were inserted from disk, would you be willing to attach your .story file here for troubleshooting?

Marianne Brien

Hi, I understand the background audio volume lowers when there is other audio on the slide, but is there a way to lower it from the start for the entire project. We'd like to have a low volume background audio throughout, but our seems to play full volume (very loud). We've tried lowering the audio track in audacity, but when imported back, it's still super loud. We've had a similar issue in the past where we had to change the audio compression from Automatic to None, and that fixed it, but in the Background Audio case, we can't get this option, because the track can't be selected in the timeline.

Do you have any clues towards resolution of this issue? 
Thank you very much!

Michael Marcos

Hello Marianne, 

I have sent out an email to continue working with you on this particular issue. Please keep an eye out for it in either your inbox, or spam. We'd like to take a closer look at the files (.STORY) and the sound file (before processing in Audacity), you can share them privately via a link in my email. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

Vanessa Fage

Hi Sh,

Thank you for confirming you were working with an embedded video and that switching to one inserted from disk addressed this for you.

Regarding adjusting the background audio volume when your voice over plays: does setting the `Lower background audio when slide audio plays` checkbox and modifying the % there address your use case? It defaults to 50% of slide audio volume but can be decreased/increased as needed.

Laura Parenti

Hi, this is wonderful news! I have a question about the option for lowering the audio while the narration is playing. The 50% default was a little too low, so I was wondering if the percentage is to lower the volume by 50% or does that represent the total volume? For example, if I wanted to lower the background music by 30%, would I adjust the background audio settings to 30% or set it to 70%, which would indicate that the background music is at 70% of the total volume?

I hope my question makes sense; I've tried setting it both ways, but it sounds identical to me (which could be the fault of my computer's speaker, to be honest). Thank you!

Vanessa Fage

Hello Laura,

Thank you for checking out the feature!  If you find that the background audio volume is too low while your course is playing, you could try one of these options:

• Set the `Lower background audio when slide audio plays` option to a value higher than 50%
  • Use the volume slider on your player controls to adjust the overall volume for your entire course (which will also affect background audio)

Hopefully one or both of these will help! 

Steven Benassi

Hi Nicole!

The Content Library has templates for use in Storyline/Studio, access to characters (illustrated and photographic), and a ton of images, icons, and videos. We don't have audio files in there yet, but it has already been logged as a feature request!

I’ll go ahead and include your voice! We’ll update this discussion if this feature makes it on our feature roadmap.

Cristopher Badilla

Thanks for this new function. I've been testing it today and I have found that the volume goes up and down sometimes when an image fades in. My quick fix was adding a muted sound. I guess problems are expected with a just-released feature.

In my opinion, I'd add the option of setting a fixed volume whether you there's audio in a slide, video or not. As a result, music volume won't be bumping up and down for no apparent reason.

Steven Benassi

Hi Cristopher!

Thanks for sharing feedback on the type of functionality you'd like to see with this exciting new feature!

We currently have this logged as a feature request, so I'll go ahead and include your voice! We’ll update this discussion if this feature makes it on our feature roadmap.

Robert Reynolds

First: I love that you implemented this feature. It's actually something I was just discussing with my supervisor (as something I wish Articulate would implement). 

Second: It would be nice if there was an option to pause the background playlist when the course is manually paused (by using the "Pause" player control). Currently, the course/timeline pauses, but the background playlist continues to broadcast. This isn't a dealbreaker, but for those reviewing the course, it could be inconvenient (perhaps even a bit annoying) to pause the course to discuss, take notes, leave Review comments, etc., but have to continue hearing the audio from the playlist. 

Vanessa Fage

Hello Robert,

Thanks for checking out the Background Audio feature, and it's great to hear how timely this was!

We currently don't tie the course play/pause button to the background audio, but would one of the following player keyboard shortcuts perhaps help in this situation for course reviewers?

• Ctrl+Alt+A: Toggle background audio
  • Ctrl+Alt+M: Mute/unmute overall course audio