New in Storyline 360: Background Audio

Apr 04, 2023

We’ve got news that we think will be music to your ears—you can now add background audio to your Storyline 360 courses! Thanks to this highly requested feature you can set the right tone for your training and keep learners engaged by adding a list of audio tracks that play in the background. And to give learners control over the experience and ensure it’s optimal for everyone, they can toggle background audio on and off as needed. Check out this article to learn more about this new feature: Storyline 360: Background Audio

If you’re an Articulate 360 subscriber, you can access this new feature immediately by updating Storyline 360 via the desktop app. And if you don’t have Articulate 360 but want to try out this feature, you can start a free 30-day trial.

Once you’ve given it a try we’d love to hear what you think! Please share any feedback or suggestions in the comments below. We’ll be working on enhancements for this feature and want to know if there are areas for improvement or additional functionality that you’d like to see. We’re looking forward to your feedback!

~The Storyline 360 Team

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

Good news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.81.31200.0), which includes a feature to control the background audio for each slide using triggers to play, pause, or stop the playlist.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

98 Replies
Kim Edwards

Hi Vanessa.  My question is not directly related, but it is related to Audio.  I have created an interactive diagram.  The Base Layer has an audio voice-over I do not want to play on the layers.  How can I stop the recording from playing when they open a layer?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Katie Riggio

Hello, Angie!

I'm sorry for the trouble—and you raise a great point. Thanks to your feedback, we added a note that background audio isn't available in published video output in the documentation for this feature.

And we're still planning the next phase of this feature, so we'll let you know if video output compatibility becomes an option. If there's anything else you'd like to see added, do let us know!

Natalie Palomo

Hi - in an attempt to address the erratic volume levels of background audio, I lowered the volume on the actual mp3s before importing them in, so that even at their maximum, the audio wouldn't overpower the voiceover. However, I found that possibly Storyline 360 'boosts' or normalises the mp3 file so it's still so loud. I'm trying to deliver to a client for next Tuesday and the background audio is a real issue because the course is presenter/VO led.

Even when you enable the instruction to lower the background audio when the VO plays, this does not consistently happen.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Natalie, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this snag. 

I tried recreating the behavior using a simple file with background audio and narration, and I didn't experience the behavior you encountered where the background audio played over the narration. I've attached the file that I used for testing so you can test to see if we get similar results.

Have you tried making sure that the 'Optimize audio volume' option is not checked for your course before you published it? 

If leaving this box unticked doesn't fix the behavior, would you be willing to share a copy of your project file here or in private by opening a support case so we can take a closer look at what's happening? We'll delete it when we're done testing!

Steven Benassi

Hi Justin!

Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you need to add a custom trigger for more background audio control in your Storyline 360 course!

We currently have that logged as a feature request, so I'll be sure to include your voice in the report! We’ll update this discussion if this feature makes it on our feature roadmap.

Have a great rest of your week!

Natalie Palomo

Hi Joe

I got my solution from Nejc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQlWD84AT8

It's when you press next  in the player mid voiceover that is mostly causing the erratic background audio volume changes.

It meant I had to do every slide in all 3 modules, but for the purposes of delivering to the client, I was just happy to get it solved.

It would be really great if this could be solved in the software itself so that this trigger doesn't have to be applied for every slide containing foregrounded audio.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Natalie, 

Thanks for sharing what fixed the issue for you. It looks like the bug in the Youtube video you shared was fixed in a recent release of Storyline 360. Did you already have the latest version of Storyline 360 installed when you tested the issue? If not, please try updating to the latest version and then test the issue again to see if it will now be fixed.

Let us know how it goes!

Jose Tansengco

Hello Gareth,

Happy to help!

There isn't an available feature right now that will allow you to trim the background audio in Storyline 360. If you would like to add a background audio which matches the estimate of your Storyline 360 course's duration, you'll need to edit the background audio using a third-party application to set your desired length. A tool like Audacity can help you with this. 

Joe Hauglie

It would be great to have the ability to set background audio for different scenes. In a current project I already have a couple of short clips during the intro scene (tied to different slides) and the exit, but the bulk of the course would greatly benefit from having background audio. So the ability to make it scene-specific would be a great feature.

Luciana Piazza

Hello, Everyone! ✨

I'm happy to share that we have released a new update for Storyline 360 (Build 3.79.30834.0).

In this update, we have an enhancement where:

As a first stepI recommend updating Storyline 360 to the latest version. Here's how:

Update Authoring Apps

If you have any questions, please let us know in this thread or privately in a support case.

Have a great day! 

Meagan Griffin

Hi!  

I want to start by saying that this feature is so cool!  I'm excited about how this is transforming the feel of our courses.

I am having some trouble with the volume, though.  Even when I set the "lower background audio volume when slide audio plays" to 100%, it still plays loudly in the background and competes with the slide narration.  Is this a known bug?