"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Oct 16, 2013

Hi - I am getting this message when trying to save a Storyline file that had saved successfully earlier today. From reading the few other conversations on the topic, I am not seeing anything that looks to promising for being able to get out of this without losing my most recent work. Everything related to the file is on the same local hard drive where the file resides, so it isn't a portable drive issue.

Thanks for any quick advice anyone has to offer -- that is, other than to save more often! ; )

36 Replies
Troy Wyatt

A pretty old thread, but it was one of the top results when I googled so thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I had this error today, turned out I did actually have a button which had lost is connection so I fixed that but the issue still persisted. I simply saved as and alternate name it corrected itself straight away.

Eric Bradley

Same issue here. Imported a project from PPT from my desktop. Can't save the story file. I have started over, and have the same failure results. The PPT file works fine in PPT. 

No repair option is available for Articulate 360. Program is up to date. 

Restarted computer, restarted project with ppt import. same problem again. 

Uninstalled and reinstalled 360- same issue

Loaded a different ppt, saved that, then added the ppt I needed- failed.

Then I started deleting slides and attempting to save after each slide. Found it! After noting the slide that I removed that enabled me to save, I reloaded and deleted only that slide- failed. It was actually 2 issues! If there is an animation that 360 does not support, it will corrupt in the transfer. Also- if there is a slide that is set as hidden in the PPT, it will cause this issue when migrated into 360. What a PITA.


Tina Strehlo

Multiple attempts to save screen recordings. Kept getting an error. Either it would shut down storyline entirely or not be saved after it had said it was saved, or the recordings were there, so carried on.

Ran out of "disc space" because it was recommended to save everything to the C drive. These files are huge and I have a ton of them. Had to get an external hard drive.  Not as much of an issue with the new drive. But very worried about corruption.

Now I am getting the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when saving to the file on the external hard drive that I JUST opened it from. Attempting to save it to C drive since it is cleared out, but it seems frozen. But of course I will lose 5 hours of work if I task manage it closed because saving takes soooo long I would get nothing done if I saved after every edit. This thread is over 7 years old. I hope something is being done to fix this.

Jolana Machalek

Hello Team,

I have issues with importing the translated file into storyfile. I tried importing the source exported content back into the storyfile and it works fine. I received the SEND REPORT ERROR.

Below is the error description:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<ErrorReport xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<Message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</Message>
<StackTrace>   at string Articulate.Design.Triggers.VariableContentTranslation.ToDisplay(string documentState, ISlideBase slide)
   at void Articulate.Design.Shapes.TextBoxBase.ResizeToFitText()
   at void Articulate.Design.Shapes.TextBoxBase.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at void Articulate.Design.Shapes.TextBox.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)
   at void Articulate.Design.Shapes.TextBoxBase.set_TranslationTarget(string value)
   at void Articulate.Design.Shapes.TextBoxBase.Articulate.Globalization.ITranslationUnit.set_TargetDocument(string value)
   at bool Articulate.Globalization.Internal.Xliff.V1_2.DocumentStateTranslationUnitBuilder.Apply(ITranslationUnit projectTranslationUnit, transunit translationUnit)
   at bool Articulate.Globalization.Internal.Xliff.V1_2.TranslationUnitFactory.Apply(transunit translationUnit, ITranslationLoader translationLoader, Func&lt;string, ITranslationUnit&gt; projectTranslationUnitLookup)
   at void Articulate.Globalization.Internal.Xliff.V1_2.XliffBuilder.Apply(string fileName, ITranslationLoader translationLoader, IEnumerable&lt;ITranslationUnit&gt; units)
   at bool Articulate.Globalization.TranslationProvider.a(IList&lt;ITranslationUnit&gt; A_0, string A_1)
   at void Articulate.Globalization.TranslationProvider.b()
   at void Articulate.Globalization.TranslationProvider.b(object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at void Articulate.Globalization.TranslationImportResult.OnShown(EventArgs e)
   at void System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()
   at void System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at void System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(object obj)
   at void System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at void System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()</StackTrace>