Print multiple slides at end of Story in Storyline 360

Jan 26, 2022

Hello. I'm trying to set up a story's final slide with a print button that outputs not only that slide, but at least one other previous slide. Essentially, multiple pages whose content will be determined by user input over the course of the story. Unfortunately, everything I've found only allows for print buttons in Storyline to print the slide their on using the basic window.print() javascript command.

I've been trying to figure out what sort of access is possible to a story's components using the execute javascript triggers. Is there anyway to perhaps save slides into an object and point the print command to that object instead of to the current slide?

6 Replies
Richard Watson

Daniel,

Understood. I was thinking you wanted to capture text information typed by users on previous slides (e.g., survey, essay type of information). These could be stored as text variables. Best wishes to you on finding your solution. Storyline 360 is a pretty neat tool!

Here's an example I created a few minutes ago: 

https://bridgehillls.com/capture-and-printing-a-learners-responses/

Richard

Daniel Boren

From the information you linked I was able to set up a custom print window in an external javascript file that basically builds a chart based on variables set by user selections in the preceding slides.

This is great, but the problem is I'm trying to print both that custom built chart and another slide with the same print button. The other slide contains several layers with images that are set up to display or not display based on user selections, forming a final composite image. I could easily print this with an execute javascript trigger containing "window.print();", but ideally I want to instead include that same output in the custom built print window that currently contains that chart I mentioned earlier.

Daniel Boren

As a workaround I've been trying to implement the images the same way I did text, but the source path for the image never seems to work. I've even tried making it as concise as possible by putting the image in the Story_Content folder at the same level as the external js file, but still getting the dead image link icon when testing. I figured since some videos the project uses are stored in that same folder anything I put there should be accessible, unless there's something I don't know about how Storyline is handling the story_contents folder behind the scenes.