Published zip file ballooned in size after upgrade to Storyline 360

Dec 20, 2017

Has anyone experience their zip file, published for LMS Scorm 1.2, growing substantially in size after updating to 360, when the .story file content has not changed?

I have a file that published to 111MB using SL2, and after updating to 360 the zip file size is now 178MB. I checked the compression settings, and they were both the same. I have also resaved the file with a new name.

Any help would be appreciated, this zip is too large to deploy on my LMS, and I can't revert to Storyline 2.

Thanks,

Karen

20 Replies
karen forkish

Hi Leslie!

Thank you for answering! I did not explain myself well in the original post. Here are the steps I followed.

Open file in Storyline 2, and publish to LMS.

Resulting zip file size is 111MB.

Close file, and reopen as Storyline 360.

Check quality settings to be sure they are the same. They are.

Publish to LMS.

Resulting zip file size is 178MB.

Do you know what would make a file published from Storyline 360, 67MB larger than the exact same file published in Storyline 2? 

Thanks so much for any insight you might have about this!

Karen

Jose Tansengco

Hi Antje,

Sorry to hear that you ran into this issue. We are currently tracking incidents where published Storyline courses are increasing in file size. We are seeing this occur in recent releases of the application. I’ve added this forum post to the report we have open for it so we can notify you as soon as a fix is released.

As a workaround, you might consider downgrading your Storyline 360 installation to Update 62 so you can publish courses with smaller file sizes.

Marty Slapnik

I believe I see where the filesize bloat is coming from. I grabbed files from my same course that I exported a few weeks ago and compared the same jpg's and png's to what is being exported from the course today. The NEW image files look like they're being exported at their original size and not being scaled down appropriately. Thus, making all of the images files much larger than needed. 

This is big. I have clients that can't install these courses in their LMS now that the zip files are so huge. When can we get an update on this?

Jose Tansengco

Hi Marty,

As mentioned in my previous post, we're currently monitoring this file size issue that was caused by a recently released update that aimed to address image quality. The update I am referring to is Update 63, and as a temporary workaround, you can downgrade your installation to Update 62

We'll let everyone in this forum know once this issue is fixed, and for your reference, here's a quick look at how we tackle bugs

Marty Slapnik

Any update on this? I'm unable to upgrade my Storyline until this has been resolved. We need an option during export to decide whether or not we want images to be resized in the output. This affects a great number of my courses that were developed a few years ago, and are still in use today.

Lauren Connelly

Hello all!

Good news! Today, we just released Storyline 360 Update 66 (Build 3.66.28270.0) which included the fix for the bug where publishing a project with the previous update caused larger file sizes in the published output.

Now all you need to do is update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app!

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to reach out in this discussion or in a support case. 

Sandra Phillips

Good day, I am reading the query trail. I am currently experiencing this issue.  Has a solution been found for this yet please?  I have a Story file that is 57MB and after I scorm it, it grows to 97MB. We have a 50MB limit on our LMS. I see that it is my three embedded videos that double in size after I scorm it?  I have used custom settings in the publishing process, but no difference. 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Sandra, 

Are you using the most recent version of Storyline 360 to publish your project? If you aren't using the most recent version, please update to the most recent version and republish your course to see if this fixes the issue. 

If you're already on the most recent version, would you be willing to upload a copy of your project file here or in private through a support case so we can check what's happening? 

Sandra Phillips

Thank you Joe Tansengco for your response.

I am working on the latest version. I have a curriculum of 18 elearning modules and only two of them are giving me this issue. Unfortunately due to the nature of the content, I am unable to upload for you to check. Sadly... I appreciate your time to respond.

Regards
Sandra

Kelly Auner

Hi Sandra!

I understand you're unable to share your course content with us. I want to assure you that absolutely anything you share with our team in a support case is kept confidential and we regularly remove user files from our systems. If you have any questions about our Privacy and security policies, please take a look at our Trust Center

I also want to let you know that replying via email includes your signature here so you are welcome to edit the post and remove that information if you wish.