Resource item returning a 404 - File or directory not found error

Feb 23, 2018

Hello,

I have generated several courses through Articulate, however, a course I created recently has run into some trouble. It seems two of the seven or so files I loaded into the Resources area are not opening. They created a "404-file or directory not found" error. I have opened the Story file, deleted the two suspect files and reloaded them. I even added another file as well. However, after republishing... the same two files produce the same error. The files are 7MB and 19MB and this has not happened on any other course I have created and I follow the same procedure. Has anyone else had this occur? Any idea's?

9 Replies
Scott VanDeKeere

Hi Mark.  I just saw this post and noticed no answer was provided.  I just had the same thing happen which is why I came to this post.  I'm wondering if you had any special characters in the filename or if the filename was too long.  I noticed the file I had trouble with had a dash in the filename.  I removed the dash, reloaded the attachment, and republished my project.  Am no longer getting the 404 error.

Deb Beverley

Hi Scott, I am running into this exact error, In one case, the external file was deleted when I published to my LMS. I have added the file to my story_content/external folder, and it is working. However, I had the same issue with another module (same course) and the resolution above did not work. Now I am wondering, based on your post, if my file name is too long, or if the '&' in the file name is causing the issue.

Do you have recommendations for max. number of characters in the file name, or if using special characters might also cause an issue?

Scott VanDeKeere

The & might be the issue.  The only special character that I use in the filename is _ .  You can always rename your document before you upload it to your Resources and change the display name to include the & once you have uploaded to Resources.  Or perhaps you are linking to it within a slide rather than from the Resources tab.  In that case, get rid of the special characters and make sure it's not buried too far into the file directory.

As for max filename, 244 is the limit.  I have found that the 244 includes the filename as well as the pathway to the file (folder/subfolder).