Rise 360: Does anyone have any tips for design consistency when adding custom interactive storyline blocks please?

Oct 31, 2022

Hi all,

I use the add storyline block a lot in Rise as it's good way to include custom made interactions. Does anyone have any good tips for ensuring the design is consistent between the two authoring tools please? Beyond the obvious same font, same colour palette etc? Any tips on story size for example? (I guess this would change depending on whether you select small, medium or large storyline within Rise).

A good example would be I'd like a version of the sorting activity in Rise (which can only be text) to have images to aid the learning. So I would like to build a replica of this in Storyline that can have images, but I would like the design to match the template in Rise that I've used earlier in the course, but not sure on the spacing/size etc. Is it a case of trial and error, or are there 'rules' I could apply so the design matches and is consistent? I realise that Rise is dynamic and Storyline would resize, but just wondering what approach others take? Is it worth building out templates in Storyline?

Many thanks in advance!

Liz

5 Replies
OWEN HOLT

It does vary by project.  That being said, I create a LOT of what I call Storyline banners for use in Rise. I typically set my slide width in Storyline to 1000 px and then the minimum height required for whatever is on my slide.  Sometimes, this is as little as 300 or 400 px. 
On the Rise side, I typically use 0 to 10 for the padding top and bottom. Depending on the content, I will set the width anywhere from Medium to full width. 

This example only features one Storyline block towards the end but you can see how it fits well within the other Rise blocks.
https://360.articulate.com/review/content/6213e9b5-46d2-4755-9f43-1cf4995cbb49/review

I would also note that I try to avoid "Storyline in Rise" projects that will be accessed through mobile. I've been fortunate living in the corporate world that my users are behind a firewall accessing content on their PCs only.  The block just doesn't look as good through the mobile browser, IMHO.