Shadowed image loses color in Preview Mode & Review 360

Nov 01, 2023

I have an image that I've applied shadowing to, but when I preview the slide, the image's native purple/indigo color is completely washed out to white/grey.  This also occurs after uploading to Review360.  Before I settle on either replacing it or living with it now and in our LMS, is this a known issue?  What am i missing here?  SL file has been uploaded.  Thank you.

6 Replies
Jose Tansengco

Hello Jordan, 

Happy to help!

I tested your project file and can confirm that I was able to observe the same behavior. To fix the issue, I used the eyedropper tool to replace the existing shade of the shadowing with the same color.

Here's what the slide preview looks like after replacing the color with the same exact one: 

If you encounter the behavior again, try doing a repair of your Storyline 360 installation to fix it. I've attached a corrected version of your project file for your reference. 

Let me know if you need anything else!

Jordan Glaski

Thanks for the response but "replacing the color with the exact same one" flattens and thus eliminates the shadowing effect I'm looking to achieve.  After some more testing today, I'm convinced Storyline360 has some issues with Outer & Inner Shadow Presets.

The Presets in Slide View produce a much more pronounced Shadow than what is seen during Preview Mode and beyond.  And if the Preset is manually adjusted, starting with changing the color from black (#000000) to another, there's high potential to wash out and flatten the entire effect.  Almost as if the image was simply Recolored instead of a shadowing effect being applied.

To remedy this, I'm going in a completely different direction:

1. *Make sure your original image is still saved somewhere so you can get back to it if needed.*

2. Apply shadowing effects to image on slide.

2. Right-click on the slide image and Save it as is.  Don't export the original because the effects will not be exported as part of the image.

3. Re-insert saved shadowed image onto the slide.

That's my workaround until this all could be improved, and to me this anomaly would be something worth exploring on Articulate's end.  Thanks!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the additional information. I'd like to report this behavior to our product team so we can take a closer look at what's causing it. Would you mind sharing the steps on how you applied the shadow effect to your image files so we can attempt to replicate and analyze the behavior on our end? Feel free to create a Peek 360 recording if this is more convenient for you. Once we've verified the behavior, we'll report this as a possible bug to our product team and include this ELH post in the report so we can notify you as soon as new updates are shared.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Jordan,

I've raised the issue to our product team as a software bug since I am able to consistently replicate the behavior by following the steps that you shared. We'll leave a message here as soon we have any new updates to share! 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and our apologies for any inconvenience this bug may have caused.