Storyline 3 files will not open in Storyline 360

Nov 07, 2022

In mid-October I began getting error messages when opening files from last year that needed review.  All these files were created in Storyline 3 or updated to Storyline 3.  The message I am getting tells me the file is corrupt or created in an older version of Storyline.  Everything I am seeing on the forum tells me these files should work and indeed have up to this point. Did I get a bad update?  Would love to get some input as I have 8 more files to review/update before December 1.

2 Replies
Luciana Piazza

Hello Rebecca!

Thanks so much for reaching out. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Storyline 3 files. I understand how frustrating that can be.

I see you have already had a case open with us. Great news! I have just notified my colleague Darrell to reach back out to assist you further. 

It sounds like there might be something corrupt with some of your project files. As a reference point, these are the steps Darrell shared in order to help you recover your projects in your temp files: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

This article has additional details on compatibility between Storyline 360 and Storyline 3 Project files that can assist you in the meantime.

I hope this helps. Darrell will be in touch shortly! 

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

you can check if the archiv (.story = .zip) is corrupt with 7z (https://www.7-zip.org)

install and mouse right-click on the .story file => Test archive

if you get such an error message (Data error) - the file is gone, you need a backup

if you get with the 7z test "no errors" it's a job for articulate support

https://articulate.com/support/contact/360-teams