Storyline 360 and Comprehensive 508 course review

Jul 23, 2021

Hello,

Our courses have to go through a comprehensive course review and since this is our first time submitting a course in the Storyline format, I have encountered a few questions.  Please see below.  I'm attaching a Word document that has screenshot examples related to some of the questions.

Will image overlap be an accessibility issue?  For example if one image is layered on another.  Example in Word document.

If items in general overlap, will this be an accessibility issue? Example in Word document.

When applying focus order, should alt-text be included for all items that should be read?  Example in Word document.

If alt-text is included in focus order is it also necessary to include text to speech?  Seems redundant.

Kind Regards,
Hannah

5 Replies
Lauren Connelly

Hello Hannah!

I'm happy to help! 

Will image overlap be an accessibility issue?

• I do not see a criterion in WCAG 2.0 that covers images that overlap. If they're decorative images and aren't needed to convey information, I would guess overlapping wouldn't be an issue. 

If items in general overlap, will this be an accessibility issue?

• Here is information on what is technically a failure when overlapping text on an image. The best practice would be not to overlap text with text, but you could overlap text with an image if the contrast ratio is sufficient.

When applying focus order, should alt-text be included for all items that should be read?  

• Great question! This WebAim article covers what needs alt next and what doesn't.

If alt-text is included in focus order is it also necessary to include text to speech? 

• If a learner uses a screen reader, they won't need the text to speech since a screen reader will read the same content. If you do include text-to-speech, you'll want to make sure to include a text-based transcript.
Hannah Rogers

Thank you so much Lauren. I just saw this reply. I thought I would get a notification when someone replied but didn't get one. Our courses just went up for 508 review and overall the results were not that bad - a few minor accessibility issues. There were some though that I am not sure how to fix. We will not be able to go live with the courses until these are resolved.

Note: We export a SCORM package and load it into our LMS.

Storyline 360 course:

1) The page title is not set 

2) The iframe for the actual course content does not have a title 

Rise 360 course: 

1) The page does not have its title attribute set. Also the iframe that contains the course content does not have a name

Any help is appreciated.

alex raja
Lauren Connelly

Hello Hannah!

I'm happy to help! 

Will image overlap be an accessibility issue?

• I do not see a criterion in WCAG 2.0 that covers images that overlap. If they're decorative images and aren't needed to convey information, I would guess overlapping wouldn't be an issue. 

If items in general overlap, will this be an accessibility issue?

• Here is information on what is technically a failure when overlapping text on an image. The best practice would be not to overlap text with text, but you could overlap text with an image if the contrast ratio is sufficient.

When applying focus order, should alt-text be included for all items that should be read?  

• Great question! This WebAim article covers what needs alt next and what doesn't.

If alt-text is included in focus order is it also necessary to include text to speech? 

• If a learner uses a screen reader, they won't need the text to speech since a screen reader will read the same content. If you do include text-to-speech, you'll want to make sure to include a text-based transcript.

Thank you for this.

jam jake

In Articulate Storyline 360, the Modern player has several features not found in the Classic player–many of which make your courses more accessible for individuals with disabilities. Whether you need to be Section 508/WCAG compliant or simply want to be more inclusive, the Modern player provides a better experience. In this video site, you’ll learn about the following Modern-only features:

1. Light and dark focus colors
  2. Closed captioning font size
  3. Status icons
  4. Alt text on the logo
  5. Zoom to fit
  6. Collapsible sidebar
  7. Moveable seekbar