Storyline 360 and GIFS (Cartoon Animator/Crazytalk Animator output)

Jun 26, 2020

I am trying to use Cartoon Animator (the newest version of Crazytalk Animator) to create Gifs of a bunch of characters I use in my PPT courses. They insert as GIFs fine in PPT, and play great when put in our LMS with Presenter.

But every time I try to use Storyline (from the SL1 to 360 now), I can never get them to work. They don't play and appear static in SL360. I know all versions of Storyline have had issues with GIFs it seems (which at this point seems like it should have been resolved), but I had high hopes recently. Vyond did a video on using their animation software with SL360, and made a GIF and plopped it in SL360 and all was wonderful in the world. But, when I render to GIF in Cartoon Animator, they do not work in SL360. Literally the same issue I have seen in multiple threads for 6+ years now. Anyone have any insight on how Vyond's GIFs might work yet other don't seem too? I really want to love Storyline, but I always seem to hit roadblocks like this and get frustrated and just go back to PPT and Presenter because they always work.

Thanks!

Pinned Reply
Kelly Auner

Hi, Brian and Dave!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 76, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One enhancement we’ve included:

Storyline 360 now supports high-resolution animated GIFs.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

15 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Brian,

Thanks for contacting us and sharing what you are running into your project.

We are currently investigating an issue with high-resolution GIF files. As a workaround, you can reduce the resolution or quality of the GIF file. I've added this conversation to our report as we track user impact and so that we can share updates with you here.

If you'd like to share the GIF file, I'd be happy to take a look.

Dave Cox

Hi Brian,

I don't know about Cartoon Animator, but I've been using animated gifs in my courses and they work just fine. I create my animated gifs using After Effects and Photoshop. 

Do you have Photoshop? If so, I would recomment that you load your Gif into photoshop to verify if it is actually an animated gif, and not a static gif.  If you want to share one of your gifs here, I'd be happy to check it for you.

Dave

Dave Cox

Ha, that was supposed say "Save as image." 

That image is not an animated gif. It only contains one frame. I suspect that is because when you copy it to the clipboard as you described, you are only able to grab one frame. I don't think that the clipboard can't hold more than one frame.

Here I've added a crude animation of it for you to try. Import it into your project as a regular image.

I hope that helps.

Dave

Brian Nalley

Hmm. well, the clipboard must be able to initially hold the entire thing, because Cartoon Animator puts it there and then you paste that into Powerpoint, and it works. Maybe I could send a single powerpoint slide with the Cartoon Animator GIF pasted in already? Would that be helpful at all? Oh, and again, HUGE thanks for the help Dave. 

Brian Nalley

Ok, here is a simple GIF, made in Cartoon Animator 4 (the most recent version of Crazytalk Animator). This has a transparent background, and is set to play once. In CA4, it is created using the Quick Capture to Clipboard > Animated GIF option. It is then pasted into PPT, where it plays beautifully. Super quick and easy. When I paste it into SL360, it is no longer transparent, and doesn't play :(

Dave Cox

Hi Brian,

Cool!

You are correct, the version that you pasted into PowerPoint is fully animated. So now we need to get it out of PowerPoint fully intact. 

If you select right-click > Save as Picture, PowerPoint does exactly that. It exports the currently displayed frame of the gif as a picture. It does save it as a gif, since the original was a gif, but you can also save it in a different format.

The good new is it is still pretty easy to get the full animated gif out from power point. As before, select  right-clickSave as Picture

When the save dialogue opens, select the down-arrow next to the Save button.

Save Drop-Down

Then from the selections, select Save Original Picture.

Save Original Picture

This time, PowerPoint will export the full animated file. If you look at the file size, you will see that it is considerably larger. You should now be able it import this into Storyline, and it will play without any problem.

Dave

Kelly Auner

Hi, Brian and Dave!

I have some great news to share. We just released another update for Storyline 360. In Update 76, we’ve included important fixes and new features!

One enhancement we’ve included:

Storyline 360 now supports high-resolution animated GIFs.

To take advantage of this update, launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer, and click the Update button next to Storyline 360. You'll find our step-by-step instructions here.

Please let me know if you need additional help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.